Wheels and Turner Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels and Turner Brakes

I would like to hear from those that have the Turner conversion installed and their wheel choices. Thanks, JT

I have Turners on my 64 Hawk and 60 Lark. I kept the Steels wheels but by doing that I had to buy spacers from Dorman. They were about 10 bucks a piece
    If you upgrade to disc another smart thing to do is add the dual master cylinder. Heck I'd do that even if I kept the drum set up.

Comment

Just looked up the spacer part number. It's 711-913 a 5/16 inch thick spacer.

Comment

First thing to do is CALL JIM TURNER.
        He is more than willing to share with you the years of knowledge he has accumulated on the subject.

Questions@TurnerBrake.comTURNER BRAKE
        7293 Oakbay Drive Dept I
        Noblesville, Indiana, 46062
        phone (317) 877-0453
        after 7:00 PM EST
        fax: (317) 877-5181
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

LovelandJoe, what make is your preferred master cylinder for a duel setup? '56 Golden Hawk is the model. Thanks, R
          Richard
          sigpic

Comment

I have Turner discs on the front of my '65 Cruiser. I first was using MOPAR cop car wheels, but they were too wide. I am now using Chevy rally wheels that I got from Speedway. As far as these wheels and the Turner brakes both worked just fine. I would follow Jeff's suggestion that you call Jim Turner and speak with him about your concerns.
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I use Ford Ranger Truck wheels. Just use the Ford lug nuts also due to a larger taper on the wheels. The Ford lug nuts are good to use on stock wheels also that may have a lot of wear from years of use/misuse.
              sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
              1950 Champion Convertible
              1950 Champion 4Dr
              1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
              1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I installed Chrysler rims on my 1963 Avanti with Turner brakes, (I forget the width) and have had no problems except for walking wheel disks. (I even welded nubs near the valve stem as the Avanti rims have..) I ended up using Marine Goop in a few spots when re-installing the rims. No more walking disks.

Comment

I used 6" wide Ford Crown Vic wheels. They clear the calipers, work with the stock full wheel covers, and were made for radial tires.
                  Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by airmanjwt View Post
                    I would like to hear from those that have the Turner conversion installed and their wheel choices. Thanks, JT
                    I used 15 inch wheels from a Chevy Express Van.
                    Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC
                    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

The original Turner system would not fit with my stock, '63 Avanti steel wheels. I'd hope the new system would fit with anything.

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                        I used 15 inch wheels from a Chevy Express Van.
                        How were you able to use Chevy rims? They have a different bolt circle.
                        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                          How were you able to use Chevy rims? They have a different bolt circle.
                          Not on Jim Turner's truck disc brake setups . The original poster did not specify whether he was talking about a Studebaker car or truck, so I chimed in with what I used on my truck.
                          Last edited by r1lark; 10-05-2017, 02:23 PM. Reason: added smiley face
                          Paul
                          Winston-Salem, NC
                          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Sorry for the late reply Richard. The dual master cylinder are just a cheap insurance policy for braking . The single master cylinder applies pressure to all 4 wheels where as the dual cylinder breaks it to two systems where the front and rear brakes are more or less independent. If the single cylinder fails you lose all braking on a dual you at least have some braking.
                            Maybe someone else can give a more techical explanation but there is a reason no newer cars have a single master cylinder.

Comment

Working...
                            X