Emblems on the rear of a 64 Daytona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emblems on the rear of a 64 Daytona

I just finished painting my 64 Daytona and in the process of putting it back together. I bought all new emblems from Studebaker international and the kit came with two Daytona emblems. However in the rear of the car just over the bumper and the left are holes clearly designed for some emblem (it never had them when I got the car). I tried the Daytona emblem and it doesn't seem to fit. I looked on Google but couldn't really tell. My father has a 65 Commander and a Studebaker emblem is on one side and a Commander on the other, I can't recall which side is what. I know the 64 is different. WHAT GOES THERE? A Studebaker emblem or a Daytona Emblem? And if so why on earth wasn't that part of the emblem kit?? Any help would be appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

The car is a four door sedan if that makes any difference

On a '64 Daytona, there are no emblems. All the chrome decoration is on the trunklid.

But the1965 Daytonas had the 'Studebaker' and 'Daytona' chrome scripts at opposite ends on the lower panel below the trunklid.

Craig

Comment

A dealers name ?

Comment

Did the 64s have a Twin Traction emblem?
        Evan Davis
        Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

To clarify "all the above," Randy: 1964 "Lark" types had no emblems below the deck lid on either side of the tail panel.

If yours is a 1964 model and there are holes there, one of two things happened:

1. A dealership drilled holes there for a dealer ID tag that is long since gone, or
          2. The car was involved in a rear-end collision at some time and someone installed a pre-drilled 1965/1966 rear tail panel.

The Daytona emblems (script) you received from Studebaker International would go on the car's front fenders, in front of the front wheels.

BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Mine is definitely a 64, My guess would be a dealer emblem. I know where the Daytona emblems go on the fenders. I had not thought of a dealer emblem. The problem is now I have small holes there, I just finished painting the car but could have filled them if I would have known that. That annoys me, not sure what to do about that, guess I will just learn to like it. Thanks for the information. Any brilliant artistic ideas as to how to fill/mask them?

Comment

Could it possibly be a TT emblem , they weren’t put on 64s but I’ve seen a few 64s with that emblem on
              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

If your trunk is a 64 it would have all the holes for the block Studebaker name up between the stainless trim that goes around the outer edge of the raised section of the trunk, holes lower like others have said must have been for something else added later.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Originally posted by skangboy54 View Post
                  Mine is definitely a 64, My guess would be a dealer emblem. I know where the Daytona emblems go on the fenders. I had not thought of a dealer emblem. The problem is now I have small holes there, I just finished painting the car but could have filled them if I would have known that. That annoys me, not sure what to do about that, guess I will just learn to like it. Thanks for the information. Any brilliant artistic ideas as to how to fill/mask them?
                  As for suggestions, does the car have Twin Traction?

If so, you could see if the holes line up to install a Twin Traction "Double T" emblem. It would not be correct for a 1964 model, though, so if judging and authenticity is important to you, don't do it. (If the studs on a Twin Traction emblem do not line up with the holes, you can cut the studs off the Twin Traction emblem and use double-sided molding tape, carefully trimmed with a razor blade, to attach the Twin Traction emblem over the holes and affix it to the car at the same time.)

Another suggestion would be to just cover the holes with some sort of decoration, like a small flag, a period AAA emblem, or something. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Good place to put a magnetic, "Support our Troops" sign.
                    Anyone having a problem with that needs to be ignored and they probably drive a rice burner.
                    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                    1950 Champion Convertible
                    1950 Champion 4Dr
                    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
                      Good place to put a magnetic, "Support our Troops" sign.
                      Anyone having a problem with that needs to be ignored and they probably drive a rice burner.
                      My son is in the National Guard, I have no problems with that and I am as liberal as they come.

Comment

Originally posted by skangboy54 View Post
                        Any brilliant artistic ideas as to how to fill/mask them?
                        A decal style dealer emblem would be the best solution to the problem. Some decals of the more famous dealers such as the one in Carmichael, CA, are being re-popped.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                          A decal style dealer emblem would be the best solution to the problem. Some decals of the more famous dealers such as the one in Carmichael, CA, are being re-popped.

Craig
                          I second this idea. A decal is probably better than a metal dealer ID because of the pin alignment. With that said, a metal dealer ID would be more in keeping with 1964. If you can't get both pins (usually two) to line up, use one and some moulding tape.

This reminds me of 1964 when my father and I each bought new 1964 Plymouth Fury hardtops. Neither of use liked dealer IDs. I still don't. It is like free advertising for the dealer. When I took delivery of my 2001 PT Cruiser, the first one delivered here, I agreed to leave a dealer ID on the car for a short time. That dealer ID was a license plate frame that was easy to remove. Back to 1964 - When my father went to pick up his car, there was a metal dealer ID on the back. My father was annoyed. I don't remember if he removed it right away or the dealer did.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Rear view of a '64 Daytona. Apparently those center trim pieces are getting harder and harder to find - first thing to dent in the rear... owner of this car laughed some time ago about how many he collected over the years, when looking for parts for his '64 convertible, he found four or five in parts storage...

Comment

Working...
                            X