Invading the Chevrolet dealership...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invading the Chevrolet dealership...

While visiting my old friend Dave Blanck this past week (the "deposed in the 2009 GM bankruptcy" Brownsburg Chevrolet dealer) at his new employer's dealership in Avon IN south of us, he reminded me of the dealership's Community Day coming up today (Saturday, September 30, 2017). He said there was no charge to bring a car and, in fact, participants bringing a collector car for their on-site show would be given a free meal ticket for their choice of lunch from one of the two food trucks they'd have on site...and all the soft drinks and cold bottled water they care to drink all day.

Now we're talking some serious CASO accommodations there, eh?

Anyway, I didn't ask for any special parking place, but was directed to "the point" upon arrival. It will likely be a temperate day in Hades before this image is repeated:

A gorgeous day, too; a perfect fall day. 'Didn't win anything and didn't expect to, but First Prize among all the cars (maybe 50 or so) was the usual trophy plus a $500 Gift Certificate from Direct Diamonds! Woo-hoo!

I was heartened to see that pretty Cameo Coral (goldish) 1959 Impala Sport Sedan in the picture. About 25 years ago, I had seen the car when it was for sale in our area; an unusually-nice, well-preserved car that had seen a little paint work, but not much. I lost track of it and often wondered what happened to it.

Today, I inquired of the current owner at the show how long he had had it. He said, "a couple years" and verified where he had bought it, about the location I remembered from 25 years ago. 'Good to see that it didn't get away from the area; it's really a nice car. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 10-02-2017, 03:18 AM. Reason: spelling
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Good showing Bob...what's not lost on me is the huge logo on the building above your car! Only thing that could have enhanced the irony would have been if you could have brought a friend driving an earlier 1950's six cylinder Studebaker!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
      Good showing Bob...what's not lost on me is the huge logo on the building above your car! Only thing that could have enhanced the irony would have been if you could have brought a friend driving an earlier 1950's six cylinder Studebaker!
      Cute, John; I hadn't made that connection. DUH on me! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Anyway, I didn't ask for any special parking place, but was directed to "the point" upon arrival. It will likely be a temperate day in Hades before this image is repeated:
        Now if you brought a '65 or a '66 Studebaker, they would not be able to kick you off the lot in any case; if you were to set foot in the Parts Department and order a cap & rotor and a set of points for it!! (Whether its in stock and on the shelf is a different story.)

Craig

Comment

Wonderful pic, Bob. That '64 Corvair Monza Spyder convert appears equipped similarly to the bright red one I saw at a show a week ago near here, right down to the Chevy factory wire caps. Sweet little Corvair which I understand had a pretty rudimentary fix for the rear suspension issue in '64, which was completely eradicated with the '65 redesign.

Nice '59 Sport Sedan in a good color, too!
          Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          (formerly Greenville, PA)
          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
          All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
            Wonderful pic, Bob. That '64 Corvair Monza Spyder convert appears equipped similarly to the bright red one I saw at a show a week ago near here, right down to the Chevy factory wire caps. Sweet little Corvair which I understand had a pretty rudimentary fix for the rear suspension issue in '64, which was completely eradicated with the '65 redesign.

Nice '59 Sport Sedan in a good color, too!
            Cool, Bill.

That Monza convertible is owned by the same fellow who owns the three-speed 1970 Monte Carlo. While his Monte is a basically-original, original-owner car, the Monza is a restored southern car that was never rusty...nor is/has been the Monte, of course. We see each other all the time at shows around here; he is everywhere with either of the two cars alternately.

Yes, I was really glad to see that '59 Sport Sedan. It's just a basic car with 283 and 'Glide but unusually nice. BP

Comment

Working...
            X