Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

53-64 manual shift steering column improvement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53-64 manual shift steering column improvement?

Has anybody done an article on rebuilding and improving a manual shift steering column? I want to keep the column shift, but I want it to be fluid and enjoyable as a floor shift. Is this realistic expectation?

I want to keep the column shift, but I want it to be fluid and enjoyable as a floor shift. Is this realistic expectation?
    No, it's not remotely realistic. (Your opinions and results may vary. Here's where my good friend Joe Hall will leap to the defense of the Studebaker column shift.)

Yes, the column shift can be made less bad.

Maybe, start with new motor and transmission mounts. Until the platform is stable and correctly aligned, the linkage can't do its work. Then, replace all the grommets in the arms, a new collar on the steering column and possibly a new shifter arm and adjust per the Shop Manual.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

I have the ability to re-make the motor and transmission mounts out of urethane. Could maybe do the same for grommets if rubber. I wondering/thinking if redoing the linkage in beefier rods that might help too.

Comment

Originally posted by AllstonEP View Post
        I have the ability to re-make the motor and transmission mounts out of urethane. Could maybe do the same for grommets if rubber. I wondering/thinking if redoing the linkage in beefier rods that might help too.
        I think that the best option is to replace all of the rubber and hard (wear susceptible) components paying heed to substituting with less flexible replacements that will yield a more positive action but result in more vibration reaching the cabin area...

Comment

wondering/thinking if redoing the linkage in beefier rods that might help too.
          JMHO, but the rods aren't the problem. Take apart the shifter arm, collar and the parts at the top; some pretty flimsy material there.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Agree with Jack (PackardV8) - total replacement of the shifting parts in the column, including the inner tube. This was done on my '54 and it shifts smoothly with two fingers.
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

How much better are the later column shifter? I was going to use a '63 GT column.

Comment

The later column is a bit shorter to accommodate the dished steering wheel. That will make some of the internal parts have different part numbers, but the design and therefore the weak/wear spots are essentially the same.

In other words, they are just as bad. You need to replace and lubricate the wearing parts, and adjust everything properly, and use it with a light touch.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

There are a lot of moving parts; turning, sliding, and pivot points in the column shifter from my observation. Stuff like this went to using cables on other makes long ago. Floor shifts in FWD cars for example. Could that be somehow done to a Stude column and would it make it better?

Jeff in ND

Comment

Back in the day, thousands of little old ladies drive automobiles with 3-on-the-tree. Simply do a total disassembly, clean, lube, and replace any excessively worn parts, and it is good to go for at least 100,000 miles. I like to slather thin grease on all the wear points inside the column. Once done, shifting becomes a two finger operation, even with the heavy duty T85 transmission.

As for improved parts in later Studes, the shift collar on the later ones has much more meat around the shift hand lever's pivot pin. The collars are made of soft metal, and the earlier ones wore out quickly. When worn, the pivot pin (a simple roll pin) wallows out the hole, and allows the shift lever to lose its positioning, and twist back and forth. When it gets bad enough, you can feel the shift knob turn in your hand. ONLY use a later collar with the beefier pivot pin area.

Comment

Along with the smaller parts mentioned, what ultimately gets destroyed as a result, on high mileage Cars is the Hole in the Shift Tube inside the Column Jacket as Paul mentions in Post #6.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                        X