Stude Truck Book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude Truck Book?

A "couple of years ago", l remember some mention that someone was working on a book about Studebaker trucks. What a wonderful (and needed!) thing that would be - of course, with thorough and accurate information!!

Has anyone have any new rumours or info on this project? l'd sure like to own such a book - and l'm there must be a ton of enthusiasts like me who would put out some dough to put one in their hands.
    Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
    61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
    Ride me in a Studebaker"

Not sure I remember mention of any such book, but two possibilities come to mind.
    1. Andy Beckman of the Stude Museum has produced a series of monographs, each of which covers several years of Stude trucks. They are for sale from the museum shop. https://www.studebakermuseum.org/sto...r-books?page=4

2. The main SDC web site has a history of Stude trucks from 1930 to 1964. You can download it for free.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Wasn't Asa Hall working on a truck book before he died suddenly at a young age?
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
        Wasn't Asa Hall working on a truck book before he died suddenly at a young age?
        I knew Asa pretty well and also his wife Sharon. Asa was one of the most knowledgeable truck guys around for the period 1941-64 but I was not aware of any book in the works. If so Sharon would probably know though I highly doubt it as she would likely have passed it along to his close friend John Ernst.
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Skip, l didn't realize that the SDC website history had such a comprehensive history of trucks - and you authored it! Thanks for the reference.

Well, if that could be used as a basis for a book, with appropriate pictures and appendices and all that neat stuff, l'd be first in line with my money! lt's still a substantial thrill to have a new, glossy book in your hands as opposed to the computer thing.

Thanks for your thots.
          Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
          61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
          Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
          Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Asa Hall did author a book, it was titled "The Studebaker Century - A National Heritage". It was co-authored by Richard Langworth and was published in 1983. I believe it is out of print, but my memory is that Sharon had copies for sale at York 6-8 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by STEWDI View Post
              Skip, l didn't realize that the SDC website history had such a comprehensive history of trucks - and you authored it! Thanks for the reference.

Well, if that could be used as a basis for a book, with appropriate pictures and appendices and all that neat stuff, l'd be first in line with my money! lt's still a substantial thrill to have a new, glossy book in your hands as opposed to the computer thing.

Thanks for your thots.
              Roger-
              Glad you found the truck history useful. It started out as a Wikipedia entry, but got too long and too SDC-centric for use there. It needs to be updated, as I have a number of corrections, most notably from Dick Quinn, which have not yet been added. Expanding it to include photographs would be nice, though (with my computer skills) I'm probably not the guy to do that. Jane and Gary Ash drafted me to give a presentation on Stude trucks at the Rhode Island IM, and this forced me to seek out many more truck photos than I had in my own collection. Fortunately, Sharon Hall came to my aid and loaned me several binders full of factory photos of Stude trucks from Asa's collection. I ended up using about 60 of her photos in my talk. She still has a lot of them for sale. It's worth noting in passing that many of the photos were missing any kind of caption or ID, and my guesses as what they showed were quickly corrected by members of the audience.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
              X