Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1935 Commander Coupe project, help needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1935 Commander Coupe project, help needed!

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum so I wanted to introduce myself and show you my new project. My name is Kevan and I've been a fan of these early Studebaker's for quite a while and finally got lucky enough to find one. It's a big project and missing a lot of parts but hopefully with your help I can gather some of the missing pieces. If anybody has any parts or knows anybody who might be able to help with parts it would be much appreciated! Most people would probably just make a street rod out of it at this point but I would like to try to find as much of the original pieces as possible. Ideally if I could find a complete sedan project and switch bodies that would be perfect but I know those are super rare too, so that may not be an option. Also wondering if the engine/transmission, suspension, and any other parts might be interchangeable with other years. Any help or feedback is appreciated! Here is a list of some of the major parts that are missing.

Grill/grill insert and side vents (not the surround)
    Running boards
    Hood sides and vents
    Spare tire cover
    Dashboard parts
    Steering
    Engine and transmission
    Radiator
    Seat
    Front suspension
    Fender Skirts
    Bumpers and brackets
    Passenger-side door garnish molding
    Door latch strikers
    and probably a bunch of other parts I cant think of right now

Thank you!
    Kevan
    (925) 457-9920

Last edited by shifterkev; 09-26-2017, 02:02 PM.

1935 Commander Coupe project, help needed!

I am parting out a '35 Dictator 4 door Studebaker. Most of the parts interchange with the Commander, but not all, as the Dictator is a slightly different length. The Dictator is also a 6 cylinder. The big Hershey Swap meet is this coming week, so I am not available at all untill after. Please contact me after next week, and I'll see what I have for sale that you need. One of your problems may be that I am in Pennsylvania. Shipping costs may be an issue for you, at least for the bigger parts. I have been collecting '35 parts for 20 years, as I am slowly restoring a '35 Commander Roadster.
    George Rohrbach
    georgr@ptd.net
    Instead of being under the pictures category, this post should be under Discussion or Tech. I don't know how to change it.
    Last edited by Georger; 09-26-2017, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Georger View Post
      I am parting out a '35 Dictator 4 door Studebaker. Most of the parts interchange with the Commander, but not all, as the Dictator is a slightly different length. The Dictator is also a 6 cylinder. The big Hershey Swap meet is this coming week, so I am not available at all untill after. Please contact me after next week, and I'll see what I have for sale that you need. One of your problems may be that I am in Pennsylvania. Shipping costs may be an issue for you, at least for the bigger parts. I have been collecting '35 parts for 20 years, as I am slowly restoring a '35 Commander Roadster.
      George Rohrbach
      georgr@ptd.net
      Thank you George! I will definitely be in contact after Hershey!

Comment

Originally posted by Georger View Post
        Instead of being under the pictures category, this post should be under Discussion or Tech. I don't know how to change it.
        George,
        You can't change it. Kevan can or Clark (administrator) can.
        I wonder if the "Report Post" icon can be used, not only for inappropriate material but, to accomplish moving a post to the proper category?
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thread moved

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

This looks amazing! Best of luck on your search for the missing items.
            I got rid an original 39 commander coupe rear-end on here a while back. I do have the original 39 master cylinder if that is of any help. Not much of these survived but Ebay has been a ton of help for me. I have found some real good deals on early Stude parts because people don't always know what they have. Lost of times I find it listed as DODGE / PLYMOUTH / OTHER because if its not ford or chevy most guys don't know what they have.
            Scored a NOS 39 headlight on Ebay for 19.99 as it was listed as a Dodge. I do really generic searches... like 1939 light 1939 trunk and it picks up lots of junk but every now and again a treasure turns up!

Comment

A shortened 50 Commander chassis would do a great job under that body. 245 ci six with overdrive, coil spring front suspension, and good brakes would make a great driver.
              Last edited by RadioRoy; 10-02-2017, 10:49 AM.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

HemiCoupe how are you coming on your build? Don't mean to hijack this thread but would love to see how you are coming along. Did you get your needed side chrome? Barry Hackney bought a large quanty of parts and there were lots of 39 parts so you might want to contact him to see if he has any items you might need.

Comment

Check with Dennis DuPont of Derry, NH he has a very nice original 34 or 35 Commander coupe just like your car and he also sells Studebaker parts.

I'll PM you his phone number.
                  Dan Peterson
                  Montpelier, VT
                  1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                  1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

It runs now Cowtown Commander! I still need a few pcs side chrome.
                    video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

How do I contact this Barry fellow?

Comment

How do I contact this Barry fellow? TX Rebel is his user name here.

studebakersite.com
                      Last edited by kurtruk; 10-15-2017, 06:09 PM.
                      KURTRUK
                      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I've made a few good contacts! Thanks for all the help guys and will keep you posted on the progress!

Comment

Car looks awesome just sitting there in its current condition. Cant wait to see it when it's done. Please consider us and provide updates.

Comment

I will for sure!

Comment

Working...
                            X