Autozone did good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autozone did good

I went looking for wheel cylinder kits today for the 51. My "real" parts store was closed o I tried to find a interchange on the net, no luck. Then I Googled 1 inch and 7/8 inch kits and a few showed up on ebay with a Chevy early application.
    I could not find the application at Autozone, but they had a real book that showed kits by cup size and I found some for a mid 70's Chevy that they stocked.

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54664,75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,839.60
    63 Lark 2 door
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

I remember that "real" parts stores used to have wheel cylinder cups and boots in open stock, kept in metal compartmented trays with a flip-up lid.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Yep, that's where I would have looked tomorrow, but the kit's were only 4 bucks a pop.

JDP/Maryland
      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
      spent to date $54664,75
      64 R2 GT (Sid)
      spent to date $62,839.60
      63 Lark 2 door
      51 Commander
      39 Coupe express
      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Thats where I got my wheel cylinders and kits for my 64. If you find the right counter person, they actually have a lot for the cars.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Yep, that's where I would have looked tomorrow, but the kit's were only 4 bucks a pop.
          I went to get wheel cylinder kits for my '65 Impala...$4 each. I turned them down when they told me brand new wheel cylinders were $7 each [:0]. The difference between our low production Studes and the millions and millions of Chevy's that were made with the same brakes.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Yeah, when I first started working in the auto parts business back in the 70s, brake parts, mufflers, etc. were all cheaper for the older cars than the newer ones. This was a big help in making my participation in the old car hobby possible back then. Later, thanks to competition from Auto Zone and all the other big-box suppliers, most aftermarket suppliers cheapened the prices on all the highly popular competitive stuff, and increased the prices a LOT on what was left of the older stuff.

I hate all the large national parts chains, if you haven't guessed.

Dave Bonn
            Valencia, PA
            '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

If you have trouble finding these parts from your FLAPS try rockauto.com I got new wheel cylineders for the 56 Power Hawk for 23.78 (rebuild kits are 2.78) the Master cylinder was only 42.79

Studebaker Fever
              60 Lark
              56 Power Hawk
              Phil Hendrickson
              Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
              60 Lark
              56 Power Hawk
              Phil Hendrickson
              Arnold, Missouri

Comment

I've never had a problem with post 54 Studebaker brakes, just this earlier car.

JDP/Maryland
                63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                spent to date $54664,75
                64 R2 GT (Sid)
                spent to date $62,839.60
                63 Lark 2 door
                51 Commander
                39 Coupe express
                39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...