'64 Champ Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '64 Champ Questions

My son is looking at Champ trucks and found one for sale in Washington. It's a "64 8E7. It has a 122 inch wheel base and a custom flatbed instead of a standard bed. What does the 8E7 designate? Does the wheelbase indicate a long bed? Would my friends extra Champ step side bed fit this truck? What should we look out for when looking at Champs? The rig has a clean looking 259 and the $5500 price seems to be in line with the overall condition but our limited knowledge/experience is making my boy wary.

Check thread labeled Champ pickup for sale, Hood Canal area of WA

Comment

Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
      Check thread labeled Champ pickup for sale, Hood Canal area of WA
      The craigslist ad was removed. The truck must have sold.

Comment

The truck my son found is the orange one from the post by StudeRich. https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/c...319454056.html. My friend has a Champ step side bed and we wondered if it would fit the 122 inch wheelbase. Is there a restoration/repair shop in that area who could repair the steering for us before we brought it north? We would like to get whatever he buys in shape before we bring it north. We have to do all our own work here as mechanics with correct knowledge are as rare as hen's teeth in the interior.

Comment

8E7 means/meant 1963/64 half-ton Champ with a V8. Could have been had with either a 112" or 122" WB.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
            8E7 means/meant 1963/64 half-ton Champ with a V8. Could have been had with either a 112" or 122" WB.
            Thank you. Do the numbers designate trim code too? We wonder how much of the correct trim is still present on the truck.

Comment

Post #2. In the thread its the same truck. Just a two year time span

Comment

The body tag will be on the cowl above where the heater air inlet goes into the cab. It does not have the sliding rear glass, but they could be eliminated if the buyer wanted.

Place to look for problems would be the floor area below the a pillar. This is where the front of the body bolts to a frame outrigger and it is where all the moisture runs when the floorboard gets wet. I would also look to see how firm the clutch pivot is - these trucks were notorious for that breaking and Studebaker even came out with a service bulletin to tell dealers how to fix the problem.

Once you guys have it in your garage, please add photos and information to the online registry - there is always room for one more.

Good luck.

Comment

The body tag will tell you whether it's standard (T4) or deluxe (T6) trim. Both the narrow and wide beds came in lengths of 6.5' (112" WB) and 8' (122" WB).
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Yes you can install the 8 Foot narrow bed as used on 1956 to Early 1961 Stude. Trucks.
                    However, the '49 to '55's were narrower than '56, that might be a small problem.

It sure would be too bad to remove that nice polished Diamond Plate Aluminum Flatbed though.
                    But I understand, it's a problem keeping things IN or ON those!

There is a good Studebaker Mechanic I know; Brian Curtis in Davenport & Harrington, Eastern WA near Spokane, and MAYBE he or Jack Vines here on the Forum MIGHT want to take it on, you would need to ask.
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 09-25-2017, 03:13 PM.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      Yes you can install the 8 Foot narrow bed as used on 1956 to Early 1961 Stude. Trucks.
                      However, the '49 to '55's were narrower than '56, that might be a small problem.

It sure would be too bad to remove that nice polished Diamond Plate Aluminum Flatbed though.
                      But I understand, it's a problem keeping things IN or ON those!

There is a good Studebaker Mechanic I know; Brian Curtis in Davenport & Harrington, Eastern WA near Spokane, and MAYBE he or Jack Vines here on the Forum MIGHT want to take it on, you would need to ask.
                      Thanks for all the information. I found the old pictures of the truck when it was white. It looks like a bit of work has been done. We'll call the owner tonight and then bother Brian and Jack. If my boy flies down to see the truck I might beg Washington members to accompany him. I'll post our progress tomorrow. BTW, the flatbed does look nice.

Comment

Working...
                      X