Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '58 Packard w/ supercharger, '62 Hawk 4 speed, CL WI

Hi

This '58 Packard sedan fitted with a supercharger, along with a four speed '62 GT Hawk are posted on Wisconsin Craigslist. Given its location, the '58 Packard looks in unusually good solid condition, details such the original dash pad and upholstery material are very well preserved.

Someone looking for a unique project would do well to pursue this '58 Packard. If you investigate it, please give us a report. Even better, buy it and tell us all about it!

Steve

Was the supercharger OEM or optional on '58 Packard sedans? IIRC, it was on '57s, but thought it was dropped for '58; or do I have it backwards?

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
      Was the supercharger OEM or optional on '58 Packard sedans?
      IIRC, it was on '57s, but thought it was dropped for '58; or do I have it backwards?
      jack vines
      You have it right.
      But that hasn't stopped folks from supercharging a few '58s.

I'd be curious to know more about this car.
      And that engine. Note the valve covers...
      StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
      SDC Member since 1985

past President
      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC
      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
        You have it right.
        But that hasn't stopped folks from supercharging a few '58s.

I'd be curious to know more about this car.
        And that engine. Note the valve covers...
        Thanks for the confirmation. As to the valve covers, not enough in the photo to confirm anything, only to suggest.

Someone looking for a unique project would do well to pursue this '58 Packard. Steve
        Agree, Steve; a supercharged '58 Packard sedan would be unique. The '58 Packard styling is an acquired taste for some.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

For 1958, only the Packard Hawk came standard with a supercharger. It was not an option on the other models.
          Note that there is no belt on the supercharger - probably indicates more problems/expense. I wonder what the engine number is.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

These were no 58 hardtops, sedans or wagons produced with super chargers

Comment

I doubt the engine is significant; note the oil filter to the rear. It's not a full flow block. But, an interesting car at about 1/3 the price.

Comment

Originally posted by nels View Post
                I doubt the engine is significant; note the oil filter to the rear. It's not a full flow block. But, an interesting car at about 1/3 the price.
                He does seem to like the 6500 number.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                  As to the valve covers, not enough in the photo to confirm anything, only to suggest.
                  That would be correct...

Originally posted by nels View Post
                  I doubt the engine is significant; note the oil filter to the rear. It's not a full flow block.
                  Believe it or not-- folks have been known to leave original stuff under their hoods after making a change like installing a full flow block.

The only way we'll really know what's going on is to find out the engine number.

StudeDave '57
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

The oil filter location (apparently behind the carburetor) was used on the '57 and '58 Golden Hawks, as well as the Packard Hawk, so maybe (?) this is an engine from one of those?
                    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Working...
                    X