• Show
Clear All

• gas gauge

What is the ohm rating for a '61 Hawk gas gauge? Thanks -Jim

should be 240 empty 33 full

Comment

Thank you! Jim

Comment

'nother question! my gauge has been in and out of the tank so many times I don't know now if float should be toward the back or the pass. side. Which is correct?

Comment

It will only actually "FIT" the screw pattern correctly in ONE position, that is with the Float to the Right so it cannot move on starting and stopping, only the Fuel can.

Use a New Gasket and Copper Washers under the 5 Screws.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

What you are dealing with is the "Sending Unit", not the gauge. The gauge is in the dash.
            Originally posted by jrlemke View Post
            'nother question! my gauge has been in and out of the tank so many times I don't know now if float should be toward the back or the pass. side. Which is correct?
            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
            1950 Champion Convertible
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
              What you are dealing with is the "Sending Unit", not the gauge. The gauge is in the dash.
              Unless you are reading a Studebaker Chassis Catalog. Group 0307-20 Gasoline Gage (Tank Unit)
              "Gage" is so spelled by Studebaker.

Comment

Question I bought a 55 flat window wagon that has a 327 chev , 12 volt system and a custom built gas tank. The gauge reads full all the time when the key is on. it goes to empty when key is off. I dropped the tank and re did the ground for a good connection. I touch the wires together and get full. wires apart gauge reads empty. It has a universal vdo sending unit 10 to 180 ohms. with the float down it reads empty any movement of the float upward reads full. Is this the wrong sending unit.Thanks

Comment

Does it have the original stude gas gauge?

Comment

yes it has the one in the dash

Comment

Should read 240 empty/33 full. Wrong sending unit. -Jim

Comment

You can buy an SW universal sender from speedway or any other speed shop. speedway spells out pretty clearly if you need a right hand or left hand sender. the sender comes with instructions for setting up your float level.

Comment

Originally posted by jrlemke View Post
                          Should read 240 empty/33 full. Wrong sending unit. -Jim
                          Thank you. That's what I thought.

Comment

Thanks
                            Originally posted by lumpy View Post
                            You can buy an SW universal sender from speedway or any other speed shop. speedway spells out pretty clearly if you need a right hand or left hand sender. the sender comes with instructions for setting up your float level.
                            Thanks. I ordered a Wema with a sliding float.

Comment

I just replaced the gasket on the sending unit in my '65 Wagon. I made the gasket myself from fresh sheet of cork material. I also replaced the cork float with a plastic float from a carburetor shop. When I put it back together and then drove the car 6ft or so then slammed on the brakes in both forward and reverse to slosh the fuel around, I still had a small leak from the screws(?). So I bought some very small "o" rings to go on the screws beneath the washers, so the "o" rings would contact first. Then I repeated the back & forth driving. I think the leak is fixed. The jury is still out.
                              BTW does anyone sell new sending units?

Comment

Working...
                              X