Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory Sleeper

'63 Standard two door... R2! [:0]
    Just imagine seeing one of these show up at the PSMCDR!!

I know that one or two of these still exists.

My granddad has a gutted one of these (6 cylinder) at the shop. Hmm...

Matthew Burnette
    '59 Scotsman
    '63 Daytona
    Hazlehurst, GA

That appears to be Nelson Bove's R2/4-speed, Super Red car, Matthew; right? You may have captured that picture from a previous Turning Wheels; it looks like the one used therein.

Assuming it is Nelson's car (and I am sure it is), here's a piece of interesting trivia cousin George Krem and I have positively determined: We saw this very car in a Studebaker Employee parking lot in South Bend when it was brand new in the summer of 1963! We know this because Nelson traced the ownership back there and it's the only known R2/4-speed Super Red F2 built.

When George and I saw it, it was in the open, but locked, so we crawled around all over it as best we could, and peered in the windows. On the rear floor, behind the driver seat, was a 5-quart can of Studebaker Special Motor Oil, SAE 40.

You don't think the owner was planning some racing right then after break-in, do you? [][}][}] BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

That appears to be Nelson Bove's R2/4-speed, Super Red car, Matthew; right? You may have captured that picture from a previous Turning Wheels; it looks like the one used therein.

Assuming it is Nelson's car (and I am sure it is), here's a piece of interesting trivia cousin George Krem and I have positively determined: We saw this very car in a Studebaker Employee parking lot in South Bend when it was brand new in the summer of 1963! We know this because Nelson traced the ownership back there and it's the only known R2/4-speed Super Red F2 built.

When George and I saw it, it was in the open, but locked, so we crawled around all over it as best we could, and peered in the windows. On the rear floor, behind the driver seat, was a 5-quart can of Studebaker Special Motor Oil, SAE 40.

You don't think the owner was planning some racing right then after break-in, do you? [][}][}] BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob, I found the pic online. But when I first seen it, my first thought was that it's Nels' car.

Interesting story, about how you seen it when it was new. Must've been really something to see Studebaker Co. when all the action was happening... [V]

Matthew Burnette
        '59 Scotsman
        '63 Daytona
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Bob, I found the pic online. But when I first seen it, my first thought was that it's Nels' car.

Interesting story, about how you seen it when it was new. Must've been really something to see Studebaker Co. when all the action was happening... [V]

Matthew Burnette
          '59 Scotsman
          '63 Daytona
          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Matthew Burnette
            '59 Scotsman
            '63 Daytona
            Hazlehurst, GA
            Matthew: You'll find that very picture on Page 18 of the January 1999 Turning Wheels. That's where I thought you might have seen it.

Yes, it was exciting, running around South Bend when, as you say, "all the action was happening." [] Unfortunately, there wasn't enough of it (action) to sustain the enterprise! [V]

[:I] (And I would have been 17 years old in the summer of 1963, when George and I were looking over this car in the Studebaker employee parking lot: I am sure you can relate to that age!)
            [}] BP

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Matthew Burnette
              '59 Scotsman
              '63 Daytona
              Hazlehurst, GA
              Matthew: You'll find that very picture on Page 18 of the January 1999 Turning Wheels. That's where I thought you might have seen it.

Yes, it was exciting, running around South Bend when, as you say, "all the action was happening." [] Unfortunately, there wasn't enough of it (action) to sustain the enterprise! [V]

[:I] (And I would have been 17 years old in the summer of 1963, when George and I were looking over this car in the Studebaker employee parking lot: I am sure you can relate to that age!)
              [}] BP

Comment

Yes Mr. Palma; I can certainly imagine what it would be like to be 17 years old and happen upon a cool Studebaker!

Matthew Burnette
                '59 Scotsman
                '63 Daytona
                Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Yes Mr. Palma; I can certainly imagine what it would be like to be 17 years old and happen upon a cool Studebaker!

Matthew Burnette
                  '59 Scotsman
                  '63 Daytona
                  Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Was that one of the few I saw parked across the street from the admin building tagged "Hold for Studebaker racing team" or were they 64's ? (foggy memory)

JDP/Maryland
                    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                    spent to date $54664,75
                    64 R2 GT (Sid)
                    spent to date $62,839.60
                    63 Lark 2 door
                    51 Commander
                    39 Coupe express
                    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Was that one of the few I saw parked across the street from the admin building tagged "Hold for Studebaker racing team" or were they 64's ? (foggy memory)

JDP/Maryland
                      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                      spent to date $54664,75
                      64 R2 GT (Sid)
                      spent to date $62,839.60
                      63 Lark 2 door
                      51 Commander
                      39 Coupe express
                      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

JDP/Maryland
                        Not that I know of, John. We saw this one parked in the lot between the railroad tracks and the side street on the south side of Freeman-Spicer's Used Car lot. This Standard had a regular "citizen" license plate on it. We surmised the owner worked in the Administration Building and had parked there and then walked south, under the railroad tracks, to the Administration Building on the other side (the south side) of the [elevated] tracks.

You apparently saw something we didn't, but neither George nor I lived in South Bend, so you certainly saw more things from day-to-day than we would have. IIRC, the Code 99: Tag Operation Drag Team build orders were all for 1963 R-engined cars. There may have been some 1964 production orders so tagged/flagged, but I've never run across any in years of pouring over 1964 V-8 production records.

"Never say never," though! BP

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

JDP/Maryland
                          Not that I know of, John. We saw this one parked in the lot between the railroad tracks and the side street on the south side of Freeman-Spicer's Used Car lot. This Standard had a regular "citizen" license plate on it. We surmised the owner worked in the Administration Building and had parked there and then walked south, under the railroad tracks, to the Administration Building on the other side (the south side) of the [elevated] tracks.

You apparently saw something we didn't, but neither George nor I lived in South Bend, so you certainly saw more things from day-to-day than we would have. IIRC, the Code 99: Tag Operation Drag Team build orders were all for 1963 R-engined cars. There may have been some 1964 production orders so tagged/flagged, but I've never run across any in years of pouring over 1964 V-8 production records.

"Never say never," though! BP

Comment

They must have been 63's then. What ever happened to the drag racing team and it's cars ? I know there were a few parked right across the street, darn if I can recall if it was 3,4 5 or 6 cars, but more then one, less then 10. How many P.O's were so tagged, and were they black or red ? Foggy memory again, but it seemed they were all the same body style, and perhaps color.

JDP/Maryland
                            63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                            spent to date $54664,75
                            64 R2 GT (Sid)
                            spent to date $62,839.60
                            63 Lark 2 door
                            51 Commander
                            39 Coupe express
                            39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

They must have been 63's then. What ever happened to the drag racing team and it's cars ? I know there were a few parked right across the street, darn if I can recall if it was 3,4 5 or 6 cars, but more then one, less then 10. How many P.O's were so tagged, and were they black or red ? Foggy memory again, but it seemed they were all the same body style, and perhaps color.

JDP/Maryland
                              63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                              spent to date $54664,75
                              64 R2 GT (Sid)
                              spent to date $62,839.60
                              63 Lark 2 door
                              51 Commander
                              39 Coupe express
                              39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...