Father of the Road Runner passes; Studebaker connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father of the Road Runner passes; Studebaker connection

I'd say that anyone who was responsible for Studebaker's highly-successful Mobilgas Economy Run wins in the early and mid-1950s deserves a mention here...and what's not to like about the original 1968 Plymouth Road Runner as well?

John L. Smith, usually known as Jack Smith — or as the “Father of the Road Runner ,” passed away on Friday at the age of 94, according to his wife, Laverne. While he had many accomplishments, Smith was mainly known for the low-budget, high-performance Plymouth with cartoon emblems. That story...

Thanks to Kevin Wolford for that link, and Rest in Peace, Jack. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Bob,

Sorry to hear about the loss.

Perhaps you can also inform Bob Ashton, and a small tribute can be made at this year's MCACN for him.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
      Bob,

Sorry to hear about the loss.

Perhaps you can also inform Bob Ashton, and a small tribute can be made at this year's MCACN for him.

Craig
      Good idea, Craig; I'll do that. Bob
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I worked for Spartan Mfg, the maker of the "purple" "beep beep" horn that was used on the Roadrunner cars. "Passionate Purple" was the color used on them and they had a roadrunner bird decal on them. They kept those decals in a secure location as everyone wanted to steal them.

Spartan made most of the horns for Studebaker and AMC.
        Mike Sal

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sal View Post
          I worked for Spartan Mfg, the maker of the "purple" "beep beep" horn that was used on the Roadrunner cars. "Passionate Purple" was the color used on them and they had a roadrunner bird decal on them. They kept those decals in a secure location as everyone wanted to steal them.

Spartan made most of the horns for Studebaker and AMC.
          Mike Sal
          That's pretty cool, Mike.

I can believe they were stored in a secure location or they'd never have enough left for production!

Thanks for the added info. BP

Comment

Back in the day a couple of friends and I were at Suburban Chrysler Plymouth in E.Hanover N.J. , We were lusting over the Road Runners and Gtx's when a salesman calls us over and shows us a picture of the Rear quarter of the Superbird , He said it was a prototype and he wanted to know what we thought of course being 16 or 17 it was cool , none of the other gear heads at school the next day believed us , But shortly there after the Charger Daytona started dominating nascar and we knew the Superbird was coming next ! , Jack Smith RIP

Comment

Thanks for posting this Bob.

I was the original owner of predecessors to the Road Runner - 1964 and 1965 Fury/Sport Fury hardtops with hipo 383s. After that, I owned a Road Runner/GTX. I was the second owner of my 440 Road Runner. It still had its original horn when I sold it. The last time that I saw the car, it no longer had its beep-beep horn or its unique hood.

I also a owned a Spring Special Satellite with the special top (similar to the Mod Top) and plaid interior.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                Thanks for posting this Bob.

I was the original owner of predecessors to the Road Runner - 1964 and 1965 Fury/Sport Fury hardtops with hipo 383s.
                The 1964 may be a 'predecessor' in a sense, but not the 1965, as it was based on the new full-size 'C' body.

Craig

Comment

I wonder how much of the 64 Sport Fury went into the 65 Satilite line ?

Comment

My father ran the economy runs for Chrysler (or maybe dodge) in the late 1950s. I have the certificates somewhere. He said it took Penzke a couple years to figure it out and then pulled better numbers.
                    Last edited by AllstonEP; 09-21-2017, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X