Lark front springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark front springs

Ok ..I have read all the post's I can find on stude front coils . There's lots of talk about moog cc655 . no longer available, and in my opinion will make my lark sit higher than I want. My current set up is a 59 lark with original 6 cyl front springs a small block 327 with aluminum heads, steel scattershield, 30lb flywheel, muncie 4spd . No ps or any other add ons. The front end is still a couple of inches too high I prefer a little rake on my cars. Has anyone tried using used rear coils off the late 80s gm front wheel drive mid size cars? IE 1987 buick Le Sabre etc. And no I dont want to cut the coil's because I believe the stored energy of the longer coil's will be an advantage at the drag's .

Why not just cut a coil off and see how it sits? I've used cut coils on my Studes for several decades. Like, for example, the Coupe you see in my avatar below.
    sals54

Comment

I do believe you are talking about the same springs. Moog cc655 are from a Buick Lesabre. If you want stock springs they might work. Many times this comes up and I can still find the same springs, although under a different brand etc... but if I get time I will pull out the moog charts and find a similar but lighter spring for a lighter engiened Studebaker. I used the cc655 in a six cylinder Lark and it worked fine but not for what you are doing.

Len

Comment

Yes except the moog spring is a cargo coil. I'm hoping someone had tried stock gm coils. Thanks Lumpy

Comment

Originally posted by lumpy View Post
          ... Has anyone tried using used rear coils off the late 80s gm front wheel drive mid size cars? IE 1987 buick Le Sabre etc. And no I dont want to cut the coil's because I believe the stored energy of the longer coil's will be an advantage at the drag's .
          My answer is, "Not yet." I say that to let you know that I have given it some thought and have gone as far as buying the springs. GM had their own variable rate spring and that is what I bought out of a Pick Your Part car. They are not in all the cars that fit the application and you need to search for them. My '64 Daytona has a 350 Chevy (aluminum intake) and a 700R4 trans that I figure takes about 200 pounds off the front of the car. With your aluminum heads it will be be even lighter. Somewhere (emphasis on the where???) I had all the spring data for the stock springs, the GM springs and the Moog springs. However, at this time I can't find it. My recollection was that the GM springs were .050 thinner but which spring they were thinner than I don't recall (probably the Moog). Just digging into the recesses of my aging mind I have some vague memory of the stock springs were rated at 240-250 the GM spring at 285 and the Moog at 325-ish. I'll include a picture of the springs and if I (ever) find the data I'll post that too.

Anyway, yes, I had similar thoughts. My goal was to find a spring that related more to the front end weight change, had the variable rate and at under $20 out the door was reasonable to experiment with.

OK, found it, http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=spring scroll down to post #7 (and beyond).
          Attached Files
          Last edited by wittsend; 09-20-2017, 11:35 AM.
          '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Thank you wittsend I was hoping you would chime in..and I was hoping you had tried the gm coils, as yours was one of the posts I read

Comment

Thanks wittsend, That saved me looking up the same stuff again.

Comment

I just need to get the springs in to see. Three years of building my daughter a Tiny House (off and on), two cases of Frozen Shoulder and the lack of logic to changing springs without rebuilding the front end have anchored any progress.
                '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Think I'm gonna make a trip to the boneyard this weekend , if I score some springs I'll post before and after pics

Comment

Just a reminder that there are standard coil springs..., and variable rate coil springs on these GM cars (not sure which you want). I wanted the variable rate spring and I think I looked at 30+ cars before I found them in a Buick. Here is a picture of them in the donor car. It was a while ago but I believe I removed the strut connection in the trunk and then forced the brake drum downward by standing on it (and bouncing, I'm only 160 Lb's.). The spring flying out is an obvious concern and I recall putting something through the spring (a loose chain would do) so it can come out, but still keep it from flying. I took the rubber pads too figuring I could use them to adjust height if needed.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks wittsend, think i'll go to yard sunday most likely gonna try standard spring first see how it sits. New ones are available pretty cheap but they allways seem to sit higher than i'd like.

Comment

Precision Coil Springs PRE SO8055 come in a box with the Precision label glued over the Moog CC655 label.
                        Other companies selling equivalent springs:
                        Husky Springs RV655
                        Napa 277-5271
                        Raybestos 591-1053
                        Sealed Power 832-655
                        Roadmates 110186
                        TRW CC655
                        Monroe U655SV
                        AC DELCO 45H3053
                        Perfect Circle 277-5271
                        Affinia 277-5271

MOOG is not the only coil spring manufacturer in the country. There are many.
                        Other quality manufacturers are producing the same spring.
                        Last edited by 55 56 PREZ 4D; 09-23-2017, 09:41 AM.
                        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

How Long ago was that? These relabeled MOOG Springs are disappearing VERY Fast!
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

So I went to pick ur part this morning thinking it would be easy picking....seems everything in the yard is about 2000 and newer So after lots of searching found a 90 olds 98 b body and yanked the springs . they are .570 wire diameter . I'll try and install in next couple of days and post pics.

Comment

Yea, mine came out of an 87 Buick. That was..., THIRTY years ago. My experience with the self serve yards is cars typically don't show up until they are 10 years old and are hard to find by 20 years old. Those yards are OK for upgrade parts, but pretty hopeless for finding old car parts. I see you are So. Cal., what yard did you go to?

Comment

Working...
                              X