heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heater

Looking at a picture of a 53-54 champion sedan and there were no vent openings in the fenders could this mean that the car was ordered with no heater as they were optional or could this mean that somebody filled it in?Click image for larger version

Name:	00d0d_6o3wsV57Vic_1200x900.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1755698

I would guess that they were filled in. With or without heater, the fenders would have vent doors.
    Many of the manufacturers of fiberglass fenders for C/K models make them without door openings. I do not know of any for sedans.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

A further curious note, the standard wiring diagram for this model does not show a heater/defrost wiring diagram, however it does show the heater/defrost wiring diagram in the auxiliary wiring diagrams.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06904.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	1716387In the Studebaker Portfolio 1947 - 1966 the 1954 models list the heater as an accessory for $66, therefore I would believe they could be ordered with out a heater. I have no background on this, but I would further believe that if the vehicle was ordered with out a heater there would most likely be no vent doors/openings in the fenders. Just my deduction.

Comment

A couple of years ago, I installed a heater (and defroster) in a '50 Champion 2 door sedan that came from the factory without either. The external doors were on the fenders; left side as a vent and the right side with a block off plate.
        Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
        '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
        '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
        '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

All the factory fenders in the 47-57 time frame (I don't know anything about 58 cars) had the vent doors. That area of the fender is prone to rust so the picture in the original post probably had them filled in at some point.

It's possible that the fender is a Fiberglas replacement, but I cannot imagine who would make them for a sedan.
          Last edited by RadioRoy; 09-16-2017, 08:51 AM.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
            A further curious note, the standard wiring diagram for this model does not show a heater/defrost wiring diagram, however it does show the heater/defrost wiring diagram in the auxiliary wiring diagrams.[ATTACH=CONFIG]67063[/ATTACH]In the Studebaker Portfolio 1947 - 1966 the 1954 models list the heater as an accessory for $66, therefore I would believe they could be ordered with out a heater. I have no background on this, but I would further believe that if the vehicle was ordered with out a heater there would most likely be no vent doors/openings in the fenders. Just my deduction.
            Did you read my reply (no. 2)?

Heaters were an option at extra cost. Some cars were built without them. All of the cars had the vent doors. The doors were used for fresh air ventilation as well as to get fresh air to the heater.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
              ... if the vehicle was ordered with out a heater there would most likely be no vent doors/openings in the fenders.
              Actually those doors were the only fresh air inlets to the cabin. I concur that someone filled them in...and lamented the fact at some later point.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

During a major rear of front fender Rust repair, it would be easier to remove those Vents than not, that HAD to have happened as Gary said, since all '47 to '57 Studes. do have the Fresh Air Vent Doors with or without the Climitizer System, even all '56 to '64 Hawks.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yep, one of our chapter members many years ago had a California 53 with no heater, but it had the vents in the fenders.
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                  X