Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

URGENT: Is There a Studebaker Mechanic in the Austin, TX area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URGENT: Is There a Studebaker Mechanic in the Austin, TX area?

I'm at wits end regarding getting my car started.

It needs to go out of my hands...

Anyone know of an experienced ignition mechanic for 1950's era cars in the Austin, (TX), area?

Thanks.

If you had the SDC Roster this would be easy.
    I can try to PM you a few of the 7 Pages of Texas residents that live in Austin, but I would not know which neighboring towns are right next door though.

I figure about half of the members who own Classic Studebakers probably have a clue how to work on them, so many others would be taking theirs somewhere and not know much of anything.

Actually though ANY of them COULD know someone who knows how to install a set of points, the NUMBER ONE cause of Ignition failure.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 09-12-2017, 01:55 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I do not know about Austin TX but just up I-35 South of Waco is Mark Frank who is extremely knowledgeable and likes to work on Studebakers. MDS Engine Services 254-867-8545.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        If you had the SDC Roster this would be easy.
        I can try to PM you a few of the 7 Pages of Texas residents that live in Austin, but I would not know which neighboring towns are right next door though.

I figure about half of the members who own Classic Studebakers probably have a clue how to work on them, so many others would be taking theirs somewhere and not know much of anything.

Actually though ANY of them COULD know someone who knows how to install a set of points, the NUMBER ONE cause of Ignition failure.

No need, I spoke to Mark Frank earlier and he will be doing some major work.

1. I do know how to set points hence that is why I removed the distributor.

2. I have a second distributor from a running car but no go in this one

3. The condenser is new.

4. I have the correct voltages where indicated.

5. Maybe the coil went belly up

Comment

Easy enough to play swap-tronics. Change the coil with a known good one.

One thing to think of. I had a tractor recently that gave me untold grief. Just would act crazy and sometimes would not run. Turned out to be the ignition wire was hanging on by a thread. I had Voltage everywhere necessary, but that POS wire wouldn't carry the load, so not enough current to fire the coil.
          Try a wire straight from the coil to the battery, but have someone in the car to hit the starter button, as you can't just leave it there and go start the car ( you might burn up the points before you get the starter cranking)

Comment

Working...
          X