Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know the details about the Golden Hawk racing at Goodwood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know the details about the Golden Hawk racing at Goodwood?

Does anyone know the details regarding the Golden Hawk (actually Silver Hawk as pointed out by Howard) that just raced at the Goodwood Revival over the weekend? I was able to find that the owner/driver is Patrick Watts, and he qualified 9th out of 30, and seemed to be holding his own in the mid pack on Saturdays race until retiring during the race. Didn't get a good look on the live feed, but it was cool that Studebaker was represented over the weekend across the pond - and on IDYSD no less! The car didn't run on the Sunday race, so I'm assuming the issue that caused it to retire mid-race was terminal.

You can see it in the early footage with the (not attractive to me) Pepto Bismol pink roof, bumper,and fins.

Last edited by voxnut; 09-11-2017, 12:39 PM.
    Dean Seavers
    Sacramento, CA

What little I could see of the Hawk, it appears to be a coupe not a hardtop, hence a Silver Hawk. Looked pretty strong at the start, I wonder what happened to it.
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Wow, that is fun footage. I enjoyed the announcer, too. As a sportscaster, I listen for techniques that I can steal, er, I mean emulate!
      Mike Davis
      1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
        What little I could see of the Hawk, it appears to be a coupe not a hardtop, hence a Silver Hawk. Looked pretty strong at the start, I wonder what happened to it.
        Ah, good point. I was just going off the entry list.
        Dean Seavers
        Sacramento, CA

Comment

Originally posted by StudeNewby View Post
          Wow, that is fun footage. I enjoyed the announcer, too. As a sportscaster, I listen for techniques that I can steal, er, I mean emulate!
          The whole broadcast (and the whole event!) was really great this weekend. I'm recovering from surgery at the moment, so I pretty much stayed glued to the live feed (and repeats) all weekend. A goal is to attend in the next year or two.

What sports do you cover?
          Dean Seavers
          Sacramento, CA

Comment

Yep, here's the low-down, though I wasn't at Goodwood. I have no idea where the car placed in the race, though I don't think it was in the Top Three and probably not even in the Top 10 either.

The 1959 Studebaker Silver Hawk was driven by Patrick Watts, who was a racing driver known for his exploits in the British Touring Car Championship Series and now makes occasional appearances in historic racing series, such as Goodwood. Patrick is CEO of recycling company based in the UK.
            Richard
            sigpic

Comment

Silver Hawk, big T-Bird and Falcons at Goodwood! Had to be having fun!
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by voxnut View Post
                The whole broadcast (and the whole event!) was really great this weekend. I'm recovering from surgery at the moment, so I pretty much stayed glued to the live feed (and repeats) all weekend. A goal is to attend in the next year or two.

What sports do you cover?
                Jack of all trades, master of none, Dean! I've done some auto race announcing at the local short track, but mostly football and basketball from the high school to the college ranks. Growing up in NASCAR country and listening to the superb announcers on MRN Radio, it has always been my secret ambition to be a corner announcer at Daytona and break in with a frantic "TROUBLE IN TURN TWO!!!"
                Last edited by StudeNewby; 09-11-2017, 05:30 PM. Reason: clarity
                Mike Davis
                1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Working...
                X