Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone make a 6-cylinder timing cover with a lip seal in it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Does anyone make a 6-cylinder timing cover with a lip seal in it?

An SDC member near me has a low-miles '63 Lark that is weeping engine oil at the front. It's probably the filler block that is the culprit, but the question got asked, anyway: is there a modified timing cover available that uses a lip seal, like the ones Ingvar Vik made for the V8's? The six has a pressed-steel timing cover, of course.

Or is there a recommended method to do-it-yourself?
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

A couple methods here
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Good luck stopping all the oil weeps on any Stude motor, including the 56J's 352. Weeps do not account for much oil loss, but it was just the technology of the times, and a little oil loss here and there was acceptable. I once owned a 1961 Harley panhead, and the factory manual said 250-500 miles per quart was normal consumption. That was because the front drive chain was oiled by the engine, and dripped out a drain hole onto the ground, as the chain slung the oil off. Studes usually are good for at least 1000 miles per quart though, and I have had fresh rebuilds go as high as 5000 per quart.

All that being said, I recently found a modern neoprene seal for the front timing cover seal on a 56J, and so far it has not leaked a drop that I can see. I am sure there's a good neoprene seal out there for the Stude six also.

Comment

Yeah, the speedi-sleeve for the crank hub is no biggie; it's the need to make a machined insert for the steel cover to accept the lip seal that is the deal-killer.

Comment

Ingvar (spelling?) Vik's son is still doing the timing cover mods at Vik's machine shop. He did my V8 cover / hub and the cover / hub for Dad's 170 flat six.
          Wayne
          "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

How soon do you need it done? I did it for my current engine a number of years ago and now I need to do it again for the engine I'm currently building. It's not much more work to do another so, if you're not in a hurry contact me. Neal

Comment

Neal, it's not for me. A friend has the Lark that's seeping. I'm going to look through my parts stash, and see if I have a felt seal on hand; probably do. And a timing cover gasket. In which case, I will prep up an extra timing cover and service it as per the shop manual. Most likely, the leak is from filler block area, anyway. Should that fail to do the trick, I will get a cover modified.

Comment

Working...
              X