Other venues to show cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other venues to show cars

I have been thinking about the idea of getting more exposure of Studebakers to the general public. It has been discussed that the love of old cars in general is dwindling and much of the population has never heard of Studebaker. International Drive Your Studebaker Day was begun to help motivate us to get our cars into the public eye, if only for one day. We have been able to attend some other venues when one of the sponsors of an art walk asked for cars to be displayed as art. We also have taken up Teardrop Camping and were immensely welcomed by the others in the group. I was inspired by Judy Pink and the fun she has showing her Lark and camper. We actually traveled with the group and camped together. What a blast this was and the attention we got was great. There are other times when we will get out at car shows but that is kind of "preaching to the choir" since people there are already interested in the cars. If you are wondering we towed this teardrop over 120 miles with our Triumph TR3 through the mountains of Idaho. The Avanti does well too.
    I wondered what other events owners are taking their cars to?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5717.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	1755607Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5753.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1755608
    Last edited by mapman; 09-06-2017, 11:47 AM. Reason: spell check

Occasionally a local shopping mall will invite local car clubs to bring their cars inside for a weekend. There are some rules...something under the engine to catch potential drips, taping gas tank fillers closed and maybe a few other rules. It brings exposure to the cars, the clubs and shoppers into the mall to buy from the stores. You can stay with your car is you want and prove the marques, answer questions and correct myths like whether an Avanti was a US or Canadian built version...the normal drill about them.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Just driving mine to the store, gas station or a restaurant is an adventure. I think everyone in our town knows me, even if we have not yet met.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

The Los Angeles chapter is doing our Drive Your Studebaker Day at a local mall (in Simi Valley, CA). We will be in front of a movie theater and hopefully a lot of 'non-car' people will notice all the Studebakers and ask questions.
        If you are local and have a Studebaker, PM me and I'll provide the details (I didn't want to clutter this thread with info that isn't useful to some people).
        Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
        '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
        '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
        '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

The local old-folks home is welcoming vintage cars again this Saturday, which coincides with IDSYD. Again, many of us will be at the Beverly Center Age Care on Midpark Way this year.

Craig

Comment

Around town, we usually have someone we know drive whatever interesting ride they have around on Wednesdays. Sadly, none of us have Studes, but a Valiant, a Cougar, and the Tbird or my modified Buick usually all cruise around as dailies that day for why nots. It certainly catches attention from the student body at my high school

Comment

Car exposure? There's an App for that. The public spends more time on their phones than looking where they are going these days. Usually when I see someone with a camera at a car event they are often asked "where are the pictures going to be posted." Slightly kidding aside just driving the car brings visual exposure, but parking the car often brings dialogue.
              '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

"We also have taken up Teardrop Camping and were immensely welcomed by the others in the group."

...who then tee-peed your trailer???
                Just kidding, sounds like a fun bunch.

Comment

Well another venue is Vintage Trailer rallyes. One sees the classic Fords and Chevys, no Studees to speak of. There was one fellow with an early fifties pickup and a Spartan, but I believe he died. I'm sure a cute little Canned Ham behind a Wagonaire or Champ would be received quite well.
                  Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Tractor show this weekend. Hope to drive my truck.

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                      Well another venue is Vintage Trailer rallyes. One sees the classic Fords and Chevys, no Studees to speak of. There was one fellow with an early fifties pickup and a Spartan, but I believe he died. I'm sure a cute little Canned Ham behind a Wagonaire or Champ would be received quite well.
                      Part of the tour we joined over labor day was held in conjunction with a vintage trailer rally. There was a couple Studebaker pickups there, an M5 and a 2R, that had been modified. You are right about how well the old canned hams go with the pickups. There were some restored chevies and fords in attendance as well as modifieds. I had never been before and liked the opportunity.
                      Rob

Comment

Meanwhile~

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hington)-IDYSD

More information about the rally (already in progress) here~
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/650646165103381/

You shouldn't need to be logged in to see this.
                        Don't be scared of Facebook.
                        StudeDave '57
                        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                        SDC Member since 1985

past President
                        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC
                        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

If you drive 50 miles each way to any car show, other social gathering, or just to get a hamburger, you will have, "shown" the car to many thousands of admirers. So just drive your Stude every chance you get. Do not limit driving to the Annual Studebaker Drivers' Day, or whatever its called.

Comment

Working...
                          X