Need Information on Wig Wag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Information on Wig Wag

Was there any Maintenance or parts information printed on the Wig Wag Accessory brake light? I started to replace the frayed wiring and that nessitated taking the lamp apart. I think I've figured out where all the springs and such go it would be nice to have some guidance.

The leather sealing surfaces look good and are actually fairly moist, but I thought I would put some beats foot oil on the leather before I put it back together - does anyone have any better suggestions?

The paper seals at the top of the lamp were not damaged when the assembly was taken apart but I wonder what I should do when I put it back together. Should I use a silicone gasket seal alone, or with the old paper gasket?

Can you find any fish paper? That's a paper specially infused with something, and designed for insulation purposes.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Hi George

Before you took it apart, did you try to blow/suck on the vacuum fitting on the back of the wig-wag to see if there was any movement of the swing arm?

As you know, I've had a number of these over the years, and have not been able to find anyone nationwide who will work on them. They are basically a big vacuum windshield wiper motor, but even Rob Ficken told me he couldn't work on them.

Call me sometime.

I'd be happy to re-wire it for you. The key is getting any kind of movement on the swing arm. I'm sure there are others out there, but Jerry Kurtz and I are the only ones I know of who have working wig-wags on their Studebakers.

Jerry also told me about the forklift propane safety switch that can be adapted to activate the wig-wag. I have a local source for these, and even though it is 12-volts, it works just fine in the 6-volt system on my Coupe-Express

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtown Commander View Post
        Was there any Maintenance or parts information printed on the Wig Wag Accessory brake light? I started to replace the frayed wiring and that nessitated taking the lamp apart. I think I've figured out where all the springs and such go it would be nice to have some guidance.

The leather sealing surfaces look good and are actually fairly moist, but I thought I would put some beats foot oil on the leather before I put it back together - does anyone have any better suggestions?

The paper seals at the top of the lamp were not damaged when the assembly was taken apart but I wonder what I should do when I put it back together. Should I use a silicone gasket seal alone, or with the old paper gasket?
        I have several Wig-Wag lights, used to see them at Hershey for $250, now they go for $1600 to $1800 and the chrome has to be redone, who knows if they work. Right now I have one in my shop that the owner tore apart and didn't know how to resemble it. If you have good gaskets I would spray one side with grease to hold them in place. I also place a needle valve in the vacuum line to control the movement of the light, if you don't the light swings wildly. As Tom will tell you be prepared to spend at lot of your time at car shows demonstrating how the light works.
        Jerry Kurtz

Comment

I have eight wig-wags. Two are on cars, a '36 and a '37. None are functioning. Attaching misc documentation below. Image #1 is the installation instructions that came with a NOS one. It does not, however, include any repair information. Reprints of all available.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	wig wag instructions labeled.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	1716252Click image for larger version

Name:	wig wag composite labeled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	1716253Click image for larger version

Name:	composite copy.jpg
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	1716254

- - - Updated - - -

I have eight wig-wags. Two are on cars, a '36 and a '37. None are functioning. Attaching misc documentation below. Image #1 is the installation instructions that came with a NOS one. It does not, however, include any repair information. Reprints of all available.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	wig wag instructions labeled.jpg
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	1716252Click image for larger version

Name:	wig wag composite labeled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	1716253Click image for larger version

Name:	composite copy.jpg
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	1716254
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Thanks to all for the responses they have been very helpful. I have a mishmash of wigwag parts and thanks to Richard's information I was able was able to identify the necessary parts and put together what I hope is a complete functioning system.

I've been playing plumber today and have lawn work to do tomorrow so I will call you Tom when I can get back to "playing with cars"

Comment

Richard's literature provide the patent numbers. Someone can post the patents drawings now.
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
              X