Automatic Trans Linkage Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Automatic Trans Linkage Needed

My '53 Commander had a 289 and FOM transplanted from a '56 President back in the late '50s/early 60's. When they did it they seem to have removed the bell crank and welded the two rods together from the bottom of the steering column to the trans. Not sure why they did this but when I got the car the ball joint end was broken at the trans. I'm at the point now where I need to hook up the linkage but when I line it up it's at a bad angle on each end, I'm assuming this is why the one end broke. I think it would be best to start with the correct parts and go from there. There are five parts according to the chassis book but only the bell crank is available and I just ordered it from Chuck Collins. If anyone has the rods and ends lying around I would love to buy them.

Thanks,
    Rich

I am sure you know that the Transmission Throttle Pressure Rod and it's Adjustment is CRITICAL to the correct operation of the Automatic Trans.
    And that means ALL of the Throttle linkage all the way from the Carb. to the Trans. !
    Some people familiar with "Other" Makes believe that it is merely a "Kickdown" Rod, that could not be further from the truth!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by 53commander View Post
      My '53 Commander had a 289 and FOM transplanted from a '56 President back in the late '50s/early 60's. When they did it they seem to have removed the bell crank and welded the two rods together from the bottom of the steering column to the trans. Not sure why they did this but when I got the car the ball joint end was broken at the trans. I'm at the point now where I need to hook up the linkage but when I line it up it's at a bad angle on each end, I'm assuming this is why the one end broke. I think it would be best to start with the correct parts and go from there. There are five parts according to the chassis book but only the bell crank is available and I just ordered it from Chuck Collins. If anyone has the rods and ends lying around I would love to buy them.

Thanks,
      Rich
      Rich, if you can post the part numbers that you are looking for, I'll check my inventory.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        I am sure you know that the Transmission Throttle Pressure Rod and it's Adjustment is CRITICAL to the correct operation of the Automatic Trans.
        And that means ALL of the Throttle linkage all the way from the Carb. to the Trans. !
        Some people familiar with "Other" Makes believe that it is merely a "Kickdown" Rod, that could not be further from the truth!
        I agree, I do have all the correct linkage from the carb to the trans installed properly I just need the gear select linkage from the steering column to the trans.

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
        Rich, if you can post the part numbers that you are looking for, I'll check my inventory.
        532676 Rod
        519533 Clevis
        532684 Rod
        192876 Ball Joint

Thanks for checking!

Comment

532676 Rod
          519533 Clevis
          532684 Rod
          192876 Ball Joint
          Rich, I checked, but unfortunately don't have any of these. Was surprised, figured I would have at least a few. Sorry.
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
            Rich, I checked, but unfortunately don't have any of these. Was surprised, figured I would have at least a few. Sorry.
            Thanks for checking anyway!

Comment

Rich I did a little research for you:

The Parts you have listed all apply to the Old system used on '51 to '54 V8's that mounted a Bellcrank on the Crossmember so the Rod to trans. you listed goes from Trans. to Bellcrank. it requires another Rod from there up to the Shift Lever on the Column. All of it is for the DG Automatic.

I found this for a Flight-O-Matic in a '59-'61 "C" Body Hawk:
              854-1 Rod = 1545412
              854-15 Swivel = 1541533
              850-58 Lever W/ Grease Fitting (on Column) = the SAME as a '53 (4H-C) = 532879

That LEVER being the SAME, tells me that it "should" connect to the later Rod that goes DIRECTLY TO THE Trans.!

I hope you have NO Saginaw Power Steering, because THAT changes EVERYTHING!

When I spotted your 6 Digit Old Part Numbers, I got wondering if you got the '53 Parts instead of the Partly 7 Digit '56 & up numbers which would be for a Flight-O-Matic.

Sure enough, that was the case, they will not fit the FOM and you may not have the crazy "Bellcrank" that mounts down on the Crossmember.

These Later Parts will be a WHOLE Lot easier to find! Good Luck!

UPDATE: OK, I reread your post; I forgot you said you bought the "Bellcrank", too bad it likely will not work and requires too much other hard to find "junk" and modifications to make it work.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 09-03-2017, 04:46 PM. Reason: Added Text in Maroon
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

StudeRich,

This is excellent and helpful information. Yes I did order the bell crank from Chuck Collins already but at $18.00 it was well worth the risk and if I cant use it then maybe someone down the line can. I do not have P/S so that will simplify things. When I was looking up the parts I had a few chassis books out and I guess I decided on '53 parts instead of the later. I will look for the parts you provided since that seems like the best way to go. I'm still not sure why the original installers didn't use the President linkage because from what I understand they had the entire car as a donor.

Thanks
                Rich

Comment

I show a good used 532684 Rod
                  192876 Ball Joint but these are probably not correct for your Flightomatic set up.

Robert Kapteyn
                  You can text the needed part numbers to 815 212 2389

Comment

StudeRich,

This is excellent and helpful information./Cut/ I'm still not sure why the original installers didn't use the President linkage because from what I understand they had the entire car as a donor./Cut/Thanks
                    Rich
                    Very simple, Sedan/Wagon Parts do not fit C and K models.

That is part of the reason that I looked up '59-'61 Hawk Parts, a more precise DOUBLE check would be, to look up the SAME Picture Number Parts for C & K models in the '55-'58 Chassis Parts Catalog to see if they match mine. I was looking for more available year parts that would fit.

NOTE that for any given Model picture or Year, the individual Part PICTURE NUMBERS whenever possible because the SAME Part exists between them, the SAME generic Picture Numbers are used.
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 09-04-2017, 11:58 AM.
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                    X