Coverage in "Old Cars"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coverage in "Old Cars"

As I have mentioned in the past, "Old Cars Weekly News & Marketplace" newspaper has continued to have favorable Studebaker coverage. I have no connection to the publication, other than being a subscriber and frequent writer to them.
    I will give examples of Studebaker coverage in the three most recent issues.
    Jan. 3 - large pictures with captions of a Weasel and a duece and a half.
    Jan. 10 - full page write up of Studebaker-DKW connection.
    Jan. 17 - article on SNM tribute to Lincoln (President and carriage, not car).

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Gary

OCW has been a friend of Studebaker for a long time. The DKW article was written by none other than Pat Foster who writes a column for them about every six weeks or so. I talked to him this week about that article as I was also surprised to see it. While he writes about foreign cars for OCW he works Studebaker and other independents in at every possible moment he can.

The editor of OCW Angelo Van Borgart knew about the Lincoln Carriage as he ran an article earlier last year that I wrote about the consevation of the carriage and things that were discoveredin the process that had been hidden for years. This is a prime example of reasons to conseve instead of restore a vehicle of this vintage. One example of the disciveries made by the Conservator was Lincoln's initials embossed on each door in gold leaf. I have pictures of this discovery. Also he is a friend of SNM and will publish just about all that they send him Sure wish my scheduled permitted a quick trip to SB on 02/08/08 as I would be there for this representation of this pricelss piece of history. We can thank the foresight of the Studebaker brothers in the late 19th century for purchasing and preserving this carriage although it was not a Studebaker but one buit by Brown and Brown about 1845 or so.

See you in the future as I write about our past
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Gary

OCW has been a friend of Studebaker for a long time. The DKW article was written by none other than Pat Foster who writes a column for them about every six weeks or so. I talked to him this week about that article as I was also surprised to see it. While he writes about foreign cars for OCW he works Studebaker and other independents in at every possible moment he can.

The editor of OCW Angelo Van Borgart knew about the Lincoln Carriage as he ran an article earlier last year that I wrote about the consevation of the carriage and things that were discoveredin the process that had been hidden for years. This is a prime example of reasons to conseve instead of restore a vehicle of this vintage. One example of the disciveries made by the Conservator was Lincoln's initials embossed on each door in gold leaf. I have pictures of this discovery. Also he is a friend of SNM and will publish just about all that they send him Sure wish my scheduled permitted a quick trip to SB on 02/08/08 as I would be there for this representation of this pricelss piece of history. We can thank the foresight of the Studebaker brothers in the late 19th century for purchasing and preserving this carriage although it was not a Studebaker but one buit by Brown and Brown about 1845 or so.

Comment

I have been a subscriber to Old Cars since they started (1971?) and have retained all of the issues. I just thought that others that are not familiar with Old Cars might enjoy the paper for Studebaker and other items. Sometimes their classifieds have ads for things that I do not see anywhere else. They seem to have a lot of old (age) subscribers that may not be on the Internet.

My most recent letter to them was in reference to Old Cars' article covering Cobra #11 and how I nearly bought that car in the early 1980s for $7K (the RM auction estimate is $2 Mil). Does anyone know if it sold at RM and what the selling and/or high bid was? Speed channel is not available to me.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I have been a subscriber to Old Cars since they started (1971?) and have retained all of the issues. I just thought that others that are not familiar with Old Cars might enjoy the paper for Studebaker and other items. Sometimes their classifieds have ads for things that I do not see anywhere else. They seem to have a lot of old (age) subscribers that may not be on the Internet.

My most recent letter to them was in reference to Old Cars' article covering Cobra #11 and how I nearly bought that car in the early 1980s for $7K (the RM auction estimate is $2 Mil). Does anyone know if it sold at RM and what the selling and/or high bid was? Speed channel is not available to me.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I subscribed to OLD CARS WEEKLY from about 1975 until circa 2001. Got so overwhelmed wading through all the ads in search of any interesting editorial and feature story material that I finally gave up and traded my OLD CARS subscription in for COLLECTIBLE AUTOMOBILE.

Studedude1961
            --1963 Cruiser

Comment

I subscribed to OLD CARS WEEKLY from about 1975 until circa 2001. Got so overwhelmed wading through all the ads in search of any interesting editorial and feature story material that I finally gave up and traded my OLD CARS subscription in for COLLECTIBLE AUTOMOBILE.

Studedude1961
              --1963 Cruiser

Comment

I let mine drop about a year ago,I miss it.I'll re-up the subscription soon. I found a 4dr 6cyl Lark in 'kennys clunkers' near my home,but I didn't go to see it because the owner had 'pulled the head off about 2 years ago' and stored the car outside.
                OCW also puts out a nice calender,free with sub,I think?

LaSalle,Il
                61Hawk
                Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I let mine drop about a year ago,I miss it.I'll re-up the subscription soon. I found a 4dr 6cyl Lark in 'kennys clunkers' near my home,but I didn't go to see it because the owner had 'pulled the head off about 2 years ago' and stored the car outside.
                  OCW also puts out a nice calender,free with sub,I think?

LaSalle,Il
                  61Hawk
                  Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Gart I see no one answered you on the AC Cobera. The car sold for $1,732,500 plus fees. Thinks about the return you missed. I've been there and done that too. Hope this is what you wanted

Comment

Gart I see no one answered you on the AC Cobera. The car sold for $1,732,500 plus fees. Thinks about the return you missed. I've been there and done that too. Hope this is what you wanted

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Avantidon

Thanks for the reply with the dollar figure for the Cobra.
                        The three cars that I passed on buying, that I most regret about passing on, are that Cobra (#11), a restored Mercedes Benz 300SL coupe (gullwing) for $7500 and a 1957 ElMorocco four door hardtop. Of course, even if I purchased them, I wouldn't have kept them long enough to be million dollar cars.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Avantidon

Thanks for the reply with the dollar figure for the Cobra.
                          The three cars that I passed on buying, that I most regret about passing on, are that Cobra (#11), a restored Mercedes Benz 300SL coupe (gullwing) for $7500 and a 1957 ElMorocco four door hardtop. Of course, even if I purchased them, I wouldn't have kept them long enough to be million dollar cars.

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I think we all have given up on some cars in our lifetime. I've done it selling a 65 MK1 Sunbeam Tiger because I had too many cars and also a 55 President State 4Dr fo the same reason. Somehow I've learned and now have 6 Studes but no more room for more. Oh well someday

Comment

I think we all have given up on some cars in our lifetime. I've done it selling a 65 MK1 Sunbeam Tiger because I had too many cars and also a 55 President State 4Dr fo the same reason. Somehow I've learned and now have 6 Studes but no more room for more. Oh well someday

Comment

Working...
                              X