Studebaker 14" rims versus 15" rims and hub caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker 14" rims versus 15" rims and hub caps

So I have some 14" rims on my parts 1953 Studebaker that confuse me. Then I realized, maybe I don't know what Studebaker rims look like. I have 9 rims.

1) what make and year are these 14" blue ones?

2) is this 15" brown one even a Studebaker?

3) I am assuming and hoping this 15" white one with clips is 1953 year correct Studebaker (I have 5 of them)?

4) And finally I have 4 hub caps that I am not sure which rim they fit (not the 14). 3 are chrome and 1 is stainless steel (by left foot). And if they are to match a factory 1953 Studebaker 2 door Commander Hardtop, I assume they need an outer Chrome trim ring. Or are the correct hub caps completely different than what I have, like a 1 piece?

My end goal is like the black car.

Man I am a newbie! Thanks for the patience with my pathetic questions and for all the help!

To me the blue wheel looks like Ford, the brown Chrysler. The White wheel ,with hupcap clips, looks like '53 Stude and the dog dishes are '53 Stude. In my experiance the dog dish hub caps are much harder to find than the full wheel covers; like on the car you pictured that look like them.

I'm betting the hub caps are too small for the blue wheel and too big for the brown one?

Comment

The white wheel is 51-56 Studebaker, maybe even beyond that also. The hub caps are 53-55, both steel and stainless. Did Studebaker make them both ways, or did someone make them aftermarket?

The black car has 54-55 wheel covers on it.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

So you're saying this is the only correct wheel cover for '53 Roy? I've always been led to believe these were "early" wheel covers that went along with the early "Mercedes" emblems/badges.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	53 wheelcover.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1716170

Comment

(1) The Hub Caps '(53 to '55 Type) are of course NOT Wheelcovers like the Black '53 Shown that you want.

You can use them if you use the White wheels with Hub Cap Clip Holes, the new Clips are available at: http://studebakervendors.com

Measure the INSIDE of the Tire Flange (Bead) if the width is 5 Inches they are correct '53-'57, if 4 1/2", they are '51-'52 or '53 and not for Tubeless Tires.

(2) The Blue 14 Inch Wheel might work on a '58 ONLY Stude. but is likely Ford or Chrysler depending on the Width, just trade, sell or scrap it.

(3) The Brown one (off-white W/Rust) is a Kelsey Hayes Late '63-'64 15 Inch Studebaker "Double Hump" Wheel for Disc Brake Cars. it is probably 4 1/2 Inches Wide.

As you may have guessed, the inside Tire mounting WIDTH is THE most important feature after of course the 5 on 4 1/2 Inch Center Ford, Chrysler, Studebaker, AMC Bolt Pattern and overall Diameter.

Then there is the OFFSET, the distance from the mounting surface to the edge of the outer surface.

Here are the "HUBCAPS" that you have, usually used on bottom of the line Models that were not ordered with the Optional "WHEELCOVERS":
          Click image for larger version

Name:	54 Champion 4dr.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1716173 Click image for larger version

Name:	53 Sedan 2-dr.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1716174

'54-'57>Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6153.jpg
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1716171 '51-52 or '53>Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6151.jpg
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1716172
          Last edited by StudeRich; 09-01-2017, 01:01 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Is there a slight difference between these hub caps that I cannot see? Or is it just knowing one is a 2 piece and the other is a 1 piece?

Eric

Comment

Yes, the Three simulated knockoff raised bars on the EARLY '53 WHEELCOVERS Only, as Shown in Post #4, are not on the '54's also not on Late '53's. These are NOT Hub Caps.

The '53 brochures were printed in 1952.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 09-01-2017, 11:22 AM.
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

All 3 rims fit bolt pattern on both 1953 2 door and 4 door - though I did have an issue with depth on the backs and had to use something totally different temporarily, so technically only the white rims fit on back, I believe. But we know blue and brown rims are wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by AllstonEP View Post
                  All 3 rims fit bolt pattern on both 1953 2 door and 4 door - though I did have an issue with depth on the backs and had to use something totally different temporarily, so technically only the white rims fit on back, I believe. But we know blue and brown rims are wrong.
                  The Brown ones are not really WRONG to FIT any Stude. at all, just not Technically, year specific, CORRECT.

All you need is FIVE the SAME, does not matter especially after covered with a Wheelcover!

You are not one of those people who actually TRY to view Internet Pictures on a 3"X4" "Smartphone" are you? That would explain a lot!
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 09-01-2017, 11:31 AM.
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Ok boys, now it is sinking in. I got five 1954+ rims with clips and they can take the correct wheel covers if I can find them or if they are reproduced. The other rims are not Studebaker. And I am using a laptop for 100% viewing pleasure and accuracy. Who has the wheel covers? Who specifically has the clips - that link listed 50+ vendors? Thanks a million.

Comment

Originally posted by AllstonEP View Post
                      Ok boys, now it is sinking in. I got five 1954+ rims with clips and they can take the correct wheel covers if I can find them or if they are reproduced. The other rims are not Studebaker.
                      The last statement is not correct. See Rich's post #5 above -- the brown/rust colored one is a 63 Stude disc brake wheel. It is worth saving, especially if it's 5" wide.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

You don't need the clips with the wheel covers. You only need the clips to use the hub caps,(dog dish). I have not seen any reproductions of the '53 dog dish hub caps, but I think they reproduce the wheel covers.

Comment

Ok, thanks for catching that. Sorry, the brown one is good to keep. The 14" are 5" wide too. Glad I reread it again - I have 1 clip rim that is probably an earlier 4.5/tube required rim.

- - - Updated - - -

yes, wheel covers is what I would be looking for.

Comment

Sorry, NO New '53-'55 Wheel Covers are available any longer, there are LOTS of the small hub Caps around at Swap Meets, the Wheel Covers will be hard to find, Expensive USED ones, or maybe a few REALLY expensive New, Reproduction ones bought before the Dies to make them burned in a fire.
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hello AllstonEP, check your private message box.
                              1947 Studebaker M-5
                              1946 Studebaker M-5
                              1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
                              1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
                              1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                              X