Price of Parts Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price of Parts Cars

I guess this might be yet another sign that I'm getting old but the price of many of the cars on Craigslist seem overpriced to me. i realize that it's not up to me to tell someone else what their car is worth but I'm curious at what others might be seeing a non running car with surface rust, that has been sitting outside with a trashed interior really bring $1,500 to $2,500? What is the current scrap price for a complete car these days?

I know what you're saying. I just scraped a 64 TBird. It got me $300 here in Athens, TX.

Originally posted by Cowtown Commander View Post
    I guess this might be yet another sign that I'm getting old but the price of many of the cars on Craigslist seem overpriced to me. i realize that it's not up to me to tell someone else what their car is worth but I'm curious at what others might be seeing a non running car with surface rust, that has been sitting outside with a trashed interior really bring $1,500 to $2,500? What is the current scrap price for a complete car these days?
    1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Comment

What they're listed for doesn't mean they sell at that price.

Comment

It's generally because that most will offer about half what they're advertised at. So the advertised price goes up.

Comment

I find this overpricing kind of sad. I'm not inspired to inquire about car that is so overpriced. As noted these are often cars that are just sitting on the property. They are severely rusted, thrashed interior, disassembled motors, cracked windshield and of most concern, have no title. These are to me $100-$300 cars. Some minor rust, decent glass and a title they are maybe $1,000 cars (the mechanicals I'd likely rebuild anyway). Yet, I have seen some cars of the lesser description on Craigslist for well over a year asking $2,000-$4000. Ultimately they will likely wind up going to the scrapper when the seller dies.

So, Craigslist sellers price the car within 20% of what you will take at the bottom end. You will likely be surprised that you can actually sell the car. Otherwise Craigslist will become more like Cars Ancestry dot Com where we can view the bottom of your vehicular family tree on a perpetual basis.
          '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

What about the stuck Studebaker engines that people advertise for $500 to $700 on Craigslist. I'll bet most of them get scrapped, but they're rare right.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

I think that the inflation in prices for parts and cars comes from all of these shows on TV that seem to throw money at cars they restore, customize, or what have you. It has come to be so people do not question the cost of such things.
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I have found that there are often many parts that are excellent even on rusty cars. Time = Money. By the time you search and find the right part at a flea market, you could have bought and parted on out and get your money back - of course depending on the parts that are good on it. Some parts cars are worth decent money. Some are not.

Incidentally, I have many parts and mostly complete cars from 1939 to 1966. Let me know what you need or buy a parts car from me.

Comment

Part of these prices could also be tied into the value of the storage or hauling costs that they received.
                  54 Champion coupe
                  48 Champion Convert

Comment

I value cars on what the value of the parts are. The car as a whole may be scrap but the parts can be sold off for far greater value.
                    A rusted out hulk of a '53 C/K may appear to a casual enthusiast to be a $300 car at best,however if the hood is straight,grille surrounds and bars unbroken you can add those parts up plus all the miscellaneous parts and come up with a figure over $1200 in parts.
                    A 1962-3 Hawk dash with tachometer can part out for over $1000 if every part is sold separately.
                    Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Sometimes the price of it being advertised as a 'parts car' makes one have second thoughts about it really being one and want to restore it instead.

Craig

Comment

Just simple economics. Years ago you could buy a 57 Golden Hawk in super nice shape for $7000, and a parts car was $500. Today, Golden Hawks have tripled in price (or more). Parts cars, and original parts, are only following the trend. Every car that gets restored means one less parts car available.

Comment

Out here in California there's no such thing as a $300 car. Most any car regardless of year will cost you at least $500-800. If it's registered and running you can double that.

I agree that the TV car show drives prices of junk up with the crazy prices they pay for junk. Remember they don't really care what that POS they're starting with costs, it's pennies next to the production cost of the show and that POS is the make and model they scripted for.

You also have to consider the value of your money has dropped consicerably in the last 8 years. Almost everything costs at least three times what it did a few years ago. In '98 I swapped a 3 speed out for an automatic, the replacement trans and torque converter cost me $225; by 2008 the cost of that trans had risen to $555; last weeked they wanted $1800. This car will just get new bearings in the three speed, my income hasn't risen enough to afford what I could then!

Comment

Working...
                          X