batwing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: batwing?

Is the batwing a Studebaker exclusive or did other companies at the time use them too?
    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Most other cars I have seen from other companies they where smart enough to put a heavy frame brace out to the firewall or put a mount right where the firewall meets the frame that was strong enough to support the complete firewall.

Comment

Most other companies just built a stronger frame with an "X" menber and didn't need to add extras to them.

Comment

Actually, it's JUST a Frame Body Support Crossmember, all Cars with Frames have them, most are a bit straighter like a Studebaker Sedan.

Nothing "Special" about it, except on C & K models, it was not added until 1954.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 08-28-2017, 10:39 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

working on a 63 Galaxie. That car has a real frame on it! I believe my 49 has one. The 53 does not. The Ford does have a support. When you put the Ford up on jackstands you can still open and close the doors!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
            When you put the Ford up on jackstands you can still open and close the doors!
            You're right! My '62GT is on stands right now and the doors won't open. None of my other cars, Model T, Model A, '46 Chevy, '50 Ford, '54 Chevy's, '62 VW or newer cars have this problem. Crazy!

Comment

Working...
            X