Kudos for Turner Brake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kudos for Turner Brake

I know that it's been said many times before, but Turner Brake is one of our best vendors. Long story short, I needed some quick help with my Avanti. Jim's response was immediate, and he quickly made up and shipped the hoses that I needed.
    Jim Bradley
    Lake Monticello, VA
    '78 Avanti II
    sigpic

I also agree, bought his complete kit in May at Int. Meet for my 70 Avanti II. The instructions were straight forward and components were quality. The old girl now stops on a dime. Highly recommend Jim's products.
    59 Lark Regal 2Dr Hardtop
    51 Champion 2Dr Sedan
    27 Ford Roadster
    Harleys, Mustangs and other Goodies

Comment

How is the pedal pressure compared to stock drum brakes?

I have been considering this upgrade for my cars, but have never driven one. OTOH, I have driven a 64 with factory disk brakes and a non-operational booster (I realize this is not a fair comparison) and the pedal pressure required was way beyond what I would consider safe.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
        How is the pedal pressure compared to stock drum brakes?

I have been considering this upgrade for my cars, but have never driven one. OTOH, I have driven a 64 with factory disk brakes and a non-operational booster (I realize this is not a fair comparison) and the pedal pressure required was way beyond what I would consider safe.
        I have used the Turner kit on both my '63 and my '78 Avanti. Both had boosters, so pedal pressure was not an issue. But, I also installed this conversion on my '64 Daytona HT, which had previously had drums with no booster. I assumed that I would have to install one. I opted to first try the conversion without a booster. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the pedal pressure was just about the same as with the drums, but the braking was very much improved. I was completely satisfied. The key is using the correct diameter master cylinder. I'm not going to trust my memory here, so I can't confidently suggest a diameter. You could contact Jim Turner for his input on this, or maybe he can chime in if he sees this thread.
        Jim Bradley
        Lake Monticello, VA
        '78 Avanti II
        sigpic

Comment

What Rerun said. I don't see any noticeable difference in pedal pressure with Jim's kit vs. the original drum brakes. No Booster.
          Wayne
          "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic​

Comment

My experience was the same as the other guys. I put Turner discs on the front of a '52 1/2 ton truck. Pedal effort was about the same as the stock drums, but it stopped a lot better.

Comment

Thanks guys!
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I put Turner brakes on my 64 Hawk. Best modification you can ever do

Comment

Originally posted by LovelandJoe View Post
                  I put Turner brakes on my 64 Hawk. Best modification you can ever do
                  I have to agree with this 100%. I have them on my 62 Hawk. Pedal pressure is acceptable and stopping is straight and consistent every time! Add my thanks to Jim Turner for putting these kits together.

Comment

I just purchase a 64 gthawk with drum brakes and am thinking of installing Turner brakes. Would be able to use the 15 inch rims that are on the car now if I go with disc brakes.

Comment

Was on the way to our cottage in northern Ontario with our '56 Golden Hawk when a young black bear ran out in front of the car. We were traveling at 90 kph, the Turner brakes worked very well!

Comment

Yeah Gerald they work great . Give Jim a call

Comment

Thank you Joe for the information,I will call Jim Turner on friday.

Comment

Working...
                          X