56 pickup now drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56 pickup now drives

Joe has had a 56 pickup sitting here at the house for years. He started working on it and then got another job that paid less and offered less time off so it sat. Occasionally we would tinker on it, like when I put a kit in the carb to get it running again, but mostly it just waited. Of course, guys would stop by and ask about buying the truck, but they always wanted it cheap.
    Anyway, Studebaker people who know about the truck ask about it from time to time so here is an update. It was often in the background of pictures I took of things in our driveway. After redoing the brakes, fixing a pinhole in the radiator, and cleaning the fuel system, it is yard drive-able. Joe had a bunch of Stude parts he bought in Springfield last weekend in his Dodge pickup. In stead of making several trips with a wheel barrow he loaded the 56 and drove it down to the storage building. Not much of a trip, but it gave him an excuse to use the Stude.
    I know how much you guys like pictures so here are some before and after shots.
    Attached Files
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Congrats. My favorite year and model of truck.
    sals54

Comment

I notice what appear to be "trailer" rims/wheels on the trailer. Are they bolted up to a Stude R/A ??

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
        I notice what appear to be "trailer" rims/wheels on the trailer. Are they bolted up to a Stude R/A ??
        The trailer has Studebaker hubs mounted to a homemade axle of some sort. We got the trailer for the excellent bed and the seller put the wheels on so we could pull it. The wheels do not fit properly for extended use. The only spoke type wheels that we know of that properly fit a Studebaker pickup axle are some that were made for Chevy pickups years ago. We used to watch for them at swap meets, but gave up. Other types require spacers and longer lug bolts.
        Attached Files
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
        X