Rock Auto, accurate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock Auto, accurate?

Strange lead in, but I need to order a engine tune-up for my '57 Scotsman, points cap, rotor, etc. Being that I would like these this week I decided on Rock Auto versus Studebakerparts.com. Mainly because Studebakerparts.com does not take Paypal and I would need to send a money order. So, for those that have ordered from them is everything the correct stuff?

Later. Pepse.
    Remember. ALWAYS fasten your seat belts as it makes it harder for the Aliens to suck you out of your car.

Aint but one way to find out!

Comment

Haven't ordered too many Studebaker parts from Rock Auto, but have bought several parts for my Henry J. All the parts were correct and fast shipping. Sometimes you can buy parts they are closing out and get great deals. I bought Wagner made in USA wheel cyls for under $4 a piece.

Comment

I've ordered a lot of parts from Rock Auto and have always been happy with the quality, fit, and speed of delivery. Never parts for a 57 Scotsman, however.

Something you should be aware of. Many Studebakers I have owned did not have the original distributor. Parts get changed during their lifetime and if someone has a part that fits and works but that is different from the original, that is often what was done.

For basic Studebaker tune up parts, I have always gotten them from my local NAPA store. They don't usually have them in stock but can have them there that afternoon or next day.
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Why not go to your nearest NAPA ?? They should be able to get all the stuff in a few days.

Comment

Studebaker parts.com does take paypay.
            Might want to call them

Originally posted by Pepse View Post
            Strange lead in, but I need to order a engine tune-up for my '57 Scotsman, points cap, rotor, etc. Being that I would like these this week I decided on Rock Auto versus Studebakerparts.com. Mainly because Studebakerparts.com does not take Paypal and I would need to send a money order. So, for those that have ordered from them is everything the correct stuff?

Later. Pepse.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
            53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
            57 SH (project)
            60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

According to my records, I've ordered over 200 parts over the last 4 years. The parts for my Studebaker has been limited through RockAuto, but I've never had any problems.

Comment

Okay, first, someone from Studebakerparts.com sent me a message that they do take PayPal; I only had looked at the "Ordering" tab on the home page. Second I have used Rockauto for newer vehicles and have had success with there parts, never been disappointed. But being that I am working on a 60 year old vehicle is a reason I asked.

But then tonite at work I got to thinking "Hey wait a minute!" True it could use a tuneup but I haven't figured out why it doesn't turn over with the key, only by jumping the solenoid. True the points might be froze together and the solenoid is crap but I still need to get it to turn over with the key, maybe it will all work then. Ya see I am taking over a project my late father-in-law started about 20 to 25 years ago wherein he stripped the car of all external items like grill, bumpers, taillight assemblies, etc., etc. and then did some body work and the car is maybe 3 or 4 hours away (some more sanding and stuff) from primer and paint. and I noticed a lot of wires under the dash are disconnected and I see some wires disconnected under the hood. And I didn't think to take a copy of the wiring diagram with me when I went to work on it Sunday. Ya see at the moment I gotta drive 10 miles to be able to work on it. Which so far has been to get the rear brakes to let go (froze up because the emergency brake was set). I sprayed the E brake cables and sprayed Blaster into the back of the brake housing and let it set for 2 weeks then Saturday I went and beat the crap outta the drums with a brass hammer and the wheels now turn. So now it can be trailered to my place. But I still wanted to see if it runs. So now I gotta hook wires up and see if it is a bad solenoid or the wiring. When I turn the key on the idiot lights don't light so it could/should be the wiring. Anyway this is long but this is kinda where I am with this project.

Later. Pepse.
                Remember. ALWAYS fasten your seat belts as it makes it harder for the Aliens to suck you out of your car.

Comment

I've been very disappointed with the Standard ignition cap (Autolite setup) from Rockauto's. Of course, it's not their fault. After a few hours of use, the terminals, which are no longer brass but seem to be some kind of aluminium, were desintegrating by the action of current. NOS parts are the best way except, maybe, for the condenser.
                  Best of luck with your project.
                  sigpic

Comment

I dealt with Chris & Chuck @ Studebakerparts.com. Great people and great service, besides it keeps it all in the acknowledged Studebaker vendors group. We should always support those who support us to keep them viable for next time.
                    JMHO
                    Bill

Comment

Rock Auto occasionally has parts incorrectly listed for older cars. I'm sure their parts lists are electronically provided by vendors. It helps to be familiar with your make and model to avoid getting an incorrect part. I've personally had no problems with Rock Auto with either parts or service. I've also had no problem with Studebaker vendors regarding service. Repops are often a problem with quality and fit, but there isn't always another choice.
                      American iron, real old school
                      With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
                      With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
                      With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
                      The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
                      I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

Comment

With a Champion Six you are often not sure if it is equipped with the Autolite, or Delco Distributor, it is not as clear cut as to to which years used which one like the V8's. Some years used BOTH.

And then there is what Dick said; you never know if it was changed.

The best way to be sure is to identify the ROTOR Shape, match it to the pictures in the Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Be careful, Rock Auto is not always correct for older vehicles as I found out when ordering a rear transmission seal (C6 auto) for a 1969 F100. They list a passenger car transmission seal, which is not the same as the truck seal. Also be aware several other national vendors appear to use the same parts database as they too listed the wrong seal.
                          Dan Peterson
                          Montpelier, VT
                          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Well, I am glad I held off from ordering from anyone yet. I will definitely look to see which distributor it has. I will more than likely go with a Stude vendor. Now that I looked at the local Badger Wheels Aug. newsletter there is a Studebaker only swap meet Sept. 15 & 16 in Menomonie. That is about a 40 minute drive. I also checked and I don't work that Saturday, so I will plan on it. Besides I need a new/used taillight lens amongst the tuneup stuff. And who knows what else I might find there. And also, it is good I asked questions. It made me realize that since I am dealing with a 60 year old car it would be chancy to go through a chain parts store or warehouse. Thanks.

Later. Pepse.

Comment

I left the auto parts industry in 2002, and I noticed at the time, and even some time before that, that parts listings for very old vehicles were often inaccurate (when they listed them at all). I tried at the time to find out why, but never got a good answer from anyone. I think it boiled down to the fact that no one at the corporate level cared about the (low volume) old stuff. Or, the old "They're all the same" mentality took over, again because no one cared. So this danger in trusting modern catalog listings for older car parts has been going on for quite some time now!

Comment

Working...
                              X