Some Canadian Stuebaker fleet vehicles 1958

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Canadian Stuebaker fleet vehicles 1958

These from the June 1958 issue of The Studebaker News dealer paper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	58 canadian police copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	1755474Click image for larger version

Name:	58 canadian telephone copy.jpg
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	1755475Click image for larger version

Name:	58 canadian swift copy.jpg
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	1755476
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

That last car is an excellent example of the motto - "what ever the customer wants..."

And by the looks of that rocker panel, they were not perfectly straight from the factory.

In that first group of cars, are those hub caps the same as the 53-55 version?

Comment

The '56 Police Cars appear to have made in Canada, Canada only Hub Caps, never used here.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Here is a '58 police car, presumably from the Hamilton plant: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ser)&styleid=1

And Swifts must have been a rather large Stude customer: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...0859-Rare-Lark

I do remember a few Swift Larks still running around in Edmonton in the 1960's, early 1970's. Swift's had a big rendering plant in east end of Edmonton.

Craig
        Last edited by 8E45E; 08-11-2017, 07:44 PM. Reason: Added image

Comment

A dozenClick image for larger version

Name:	1963 Studebakers WP a.jpg
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	1715889'63 police cars delivered to the Victorian State Police here in Melbourne. They received over 300 Stuebakers from 1962 to 1966.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
          MELBOURNE.

Comment

Wally Naisbitt, Fleet salesman/manager (?) for Canada is still alive. His son, Randy, is a long-time SDC member. Hope Randy remembers all the Studebaker conversations he's had with his dad!
            Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
            61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
            Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
            Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Originally posted by STEWDI View Post
              Wally Naisbitt, Fleet salesman/manager (?) for Canada is still alive. His son, Randy, is a long-time SDC member. Hope Randy remembers all the Studebaker conversations he's had with his dad!
              Wally Naisbitt was Assistant Fleet Manager for Studebaker of Canada, Limited and was instrumental in closing the police cruiser fleet deal with the Hamilton Police Department in 1965-66.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by STEWDI View Post
                I wonder if he would remember a fleet order for Canadian Western Natural Gas in Calgary. They had a fleet of '61-'62 Champ trucks and Lark Deluxe 2-door sedans.

Craig

Comment

Looks like Studebakers were well respected north of the border. Nice going Canada!!!!
                  Rog
                  '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                  Smithtown,NY
                  Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
                    Wally Naisbitt was Assistant Fleet Manager for Studebaker of Canada, Limited and was instrumental in closing the police cruiser fleet deal with the Hamilton Police Department in 1965-66.

Stu Chapman
                    I have experience from the back seat of a 1964 Studebaker cop car.

Comment

Me too !! Back seat of about a 1961 Lark Sherrif's car in Blaine Washington......too many beer too fast.....etc......etc

Comment

I recall the British Columbia Highway Patrol used at least one Supercharged(R-2), four speed Lark(don't recall if it was a '63 or '64) on the Deas Island Tunnel/Highway ( name later changed to George Massey Tunnel) to the USA border. It was a very long straight section of highway and needed a high speed pursuit car to catch some of the many offenders(myself included).
                        Bill

Comment

I never have seen a Studebaker OPP (Ontario Provincal Police) car before these photos. I do remember seeing Stude Scotsman's as a kid. They rusted quickly in the east coast (Nova Scotia) salt air. The Hamilton plant must have used as little paint as possible when building them! There was always a lot more basic stripped down models on the east coast. Not just Studebakers, but Plain Jane Chevy's, Ford's and Plymouth's. An economic reality as there were not as many good paying jobs out in the boondocks of Nova Scotia compared to Ontario where I split my time growing up.

Comment

Working...
                          X