Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for gas tank for 1937 President or Dictator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for gas tank for 1937 President or Dictator?

I purchased a '37 President a few months ago. It had been sitting for over 45 years and needs a gas tank. Anyone have one or a source?
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

I know where an NOS tank is for a 38-39 Coupe Express. Any chance it's close enough to work?

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
      I know where an NOS tank is for a 38-39 Coupe Express. Any chance it's close enough to work?
      Thanks Matthew. I doubt it inasmuch as the '38s had an entirely new frame. I note also that the Coupe Expresses had a different part number than the passenger cars of the same corresponding year. Not sure where the difference is? Appreciate the offer.
      Richard Quinn

Comment

I'm interested in the NOS Coupe Express tank.
        Thanks, Mike
        81six-51six-258zero

Comment

1941 Chevrolet tanks have been converted to fit prewar Studebakers.
          They are being reproduced.
          Does anyone have or know where I may find a "new" gas tank? I can probably repair the one I have but thought I would look for a new one first.Part number is 189252.It would have to be shipped so I believe it would need to be a reproduction or NOS.

Robert Kapteyn
          Last edited by rkapteyn; 08-10-2017, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Wishing you all the best in your search. For all of us, vintage car enthusiasts, I'm afraid we are approaching a point of "no return" to potential availability of usable original parts, or even reproductions. Surely, there is a manufacturer of fuel cells that could offer a series of standard size tanks, adaptable to many configurations. Perhaps, by use of composite materials, and appropriate "bulk head" fittings, filler tube, fuel lines, and venting, could be installed by the restorer, to suit the needs of a given vehicle. I can envision even using parts of an original tank, as a cosmetic cover for a composite replacement fuel cell.

What was once considered restoration "blasphemy" in the past, might become the only option in some circumstances, as time marches on. I'm sure, in my years of scrounging/hoarding and dragging home the discards of others, a few of the things I have kept have gained "unobtainium" status. (I just discovered this while reading a post from a fellow forum member.)

One great thing of such venues as this forum, is another source of communication that could cause someone to suddenly recall that long forgotten part, silently awaiting a spark of "reminder," by the person who had forgotten. Not too many years ago, we would have had to solely search classified ads, swap meets,or accidentally stumble into needed parts in face to face conversations. So...for anyone out there, with a 1937 Studebaker gas tank, long buried in your basement, barn, attic, outbuilding, or cave???? Here's a chance to give it relevance and value...again.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

That reminds me. I have an oval gastank out of a Model 54 somewhere in one of my piles.
              It may fit other years.
              If anyone is interested , I will look for it.
              Robert Kapteyn
              studebaker@mac.com

Comment

Originally posted by Coupe Express View Post
                I'm interested in the NOS Coupe Express tank.
                Thanks, Mike
                81six-51six-258zero
                Feel free to give us a call. http://mystudebaker.com/

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Exploring alternatives.
                  Richard Quinn

Comment

Richard, I have a '37 Dictator 4-door sedan here, a partially-built street rod I acquired. I don't know if there is a fuel tank in it, or if it's any good, but I will look tomorrow. I also have a '38 Commander 4-door, but you say the tank will be different.
                    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                      Richard, I have a '37 Dictator 4-door sedan here, a partially-built street rod I acquired. I don't know if there is a fuel tank in it, or if it's any good, but I will look tomorrow. I also have a '38 Commander 4-door, but you say the tank will be different.
                      Thanks. Will wait to hear from you rtq11@aol.com
                      Richard Quinn

Comment

Working...
                      X