They are still out there and this one is coming home to Tucson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They are still out there and this one is coming home to Tucson

Reading several of the threads at time is both educational and entertaining. I hope this post is both.

I have know about this car since 1995. It was at an estate sale of Brooks Quinsler. Brook's was a collector of many different cars including a 1937 SS Roadster, 1955 Packard Caribbean and many other cars. Mr Richard Quinn was there and took pictures and did write in Turning Wheels Almanac about the cars there.

This little car was there looking like Suzie the Blue Coupe with all these other cars that commanded attention. I did get a 1962 2 door Regal Hardtop with the 6 and my late friend Kelly Marion got this car for $100.00. Yes and we got it to my house and tinkered a bit and got it running. I did drive it once and very impressed with the get up on the 259 with Overdrive.

Kelly took it back to Flagstaff and as was the way things happened, he did not keep the car that long. I had not known what had happened until yesterday late night and I was on Ebay. I looked at the car and knew it and tossed in a bid.

Here is the listing now:

Shipping will be around $550.00 and putting a little money, I now have a daily driver Studebaker with the options I like and will be in the car for less than 2K.

So be patient, keep you eyes open, and keep smiling when you bring home your new Studebaker bargain. I think the car did sell new in Tucson by Ed Comitz but I will get a production order once she gets home

Bob Miles
    Tucson AZ

That's great Bob. Now you can make a appointment with me to go out to Chuck's place to pick up missing pieces and parts and by the way the Hertz truck has been sold it's going to Casa Grande Arizona.

Comment

Bob,
      Congratulations on your prudent bid & win.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
      MELBOURNE.

Comment

Bob; Yes, I will never forget that auction (it was a sealed bid type). Mr Quinsler was a bachelor and lived alone with all of his cars, he was murdered by two men. He had been a Studebaker salesman early in his life (see card). He had dozens and dozens of unusual cars and most all were orphans with very few Fords and Chevies. One ended up in the Studebaker National Museum, a series 18 Six coupe with body by Willoughby donated by the family. Also a big collection of Franklins and lots of other really desirable vehicles. I recall Chuck Naugle buying a few '56 Golden Hawks. Still have the photos around somewhere.

Click image for larger version

Name:	quinsler business card.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1715878
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Seems that I saw a photo of Chuck at that auction standing by a fence or the corner of a building that you took. It was on the bulletin board at York.

Comment

Congratulations, I have had 3 62 Larks over the years and enjoyed them all, They are nice drivers for sure
            Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
            1961 Hawk 4-speed
            1967 Avanti
            1961 Lark 2 door
            1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Of all of the Lark series... I have always liked the '61/62 models the best.

Congrats on the successful bid!

Comment

This just proves that it's different strokes for different folks.....I have never liked the 61-62 models.....and it took a long long time for the 59-60's to grow on me.....
                Mike Sal

Comment

Thanks for all your comments. All the fun for me is driving and the waves and also reminders of growing up in a Studebaker Household. I can now go to the supermarket and come out and see people standing around looking thinking it is a Mercedes or something else.

Any time I can drive and educate and hopefully help our group to grow gives me satisfaction. Would I like a more desirable model (insert your favorite here), well sure. When it start up the car and hear the sweet rumble of the V8 and going through the gears is also great and I have saved another car.

Bob Miles
                  Tucson AZ

Comment

Originally posted by studejohn View Post
                    That's great Bob. Now you can make a appointment with me to go out to Chuck's place to pick up missing pieces and parts and by the way the Hertz truck has been sold it's going to Casa Grande Arizona.

Wish I could have worked that one out. Too much of a commute. Very glad it got a good home.
                    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                    Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                    X