1953 swappable parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953 swappable parts

I am taking parts off a 4 door and putting them on a commander hardtop to restore to stock.

1. Are the hoods and trunk lids interchangeable?
    2. Are the back seats the same?
    3. I assume the front seats are different, since the 4 door is a bench (1 piece)

Thanks for your help.

AllstonEP, the hoods and trunk lids are different between the 4-doors and hardtops/coupes.

The front seat would be different, since the hardtop and coupes would need the seatbacks to swing forward to allow access to the rear seats.

The back seats of a hardtop or coupe, if I remember correctly, had a armrest between the seat bottoms, didn't it? The sedans did not have this same style rear seat.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Yes, ashtray armrest - I think it had an ashtray on the front. I have that part, but if the rear base seat was the same, that would be great.

Comment

There is virtually no interchangeability sedan to coupe/htp, body parts for any year. The exception being some grille pieces, front bumpers, door handles, window winders and headlight rims. Many mechanical and chassis parts will, however, interchange.

Comment

uggg, ok. This will be an uphill battle! Thanks for answering the questions, better to get the quick bad news than slowly and painfully figuring it out the hard way - hahahaha.
          Last edited by AllstonEP; 08-08-2017, 12:29 PM.

Comment

A guy near me has a 53 hood that he thinks is an easy swap with his 55 President. Am I wrong in thinking that it is more than just a hood and front grill to make this swap?

Comment

I think you will find that Apples are NOT Oranges!

No, there is NO similarity between a '55 Coupe or Hardtop Hood and a '53-'54.

If however, you have the COMPLETE Front end of any C or K Model '53 to '64; Fenders, Inner Fenders, Hood, Grille Panels, Grille or Grilles and Mouldings, you CAN swap it to another year Body.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Sounds like you would be ahead by purchasing the body and chassis parts catalogs and reading up in them.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Good news! I think the dash and windshield are the same!
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

A 53 sedan and a 53 hardtop?

The windshields are completely different.
                    Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-09-2017, 09:46 PM.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                      The windshields are completely different.
                      I claim partial credit!
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                      X