'57 Scotsman Questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '57 Scotsman Questions.

I recently joined this Forum and gave a short introduction. I have a '57 Studebaker 4 door Scotsman. At the moment I have a mystery wiring block? behind the hood latch. A Stude member from the Badger Wheels chapter said there shouldn't be any wiring behind the hood latch. He thinks maybe it is for a burglar alarm (he has not seen the pic because the file wouldn't open that I sent him). So-o-o, here is a pic of the wiring block: . It seems to tie into the wiring harness that goes to the Voltage regulator. I don't know, what do you people think?

Later. Pepse.
    Attached Files
    Remember. ALWAYS fasten your seat belts as it makes it harder for the Aliens to suck you out of your car.

That appears to be original. It's mostly wiring for the lights, horn, etc. Check the wire colors against this diagram. That block is shown at top center. https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...-hawk-wire.jpg
    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Yeah, Dwain that looks right. I kinda thought it might be for the headlights. Do you know if there should be a cover for this array?

Thanx. Later. Pepse.
      Remember. ALWAYS fasten your seat belts as it makes it harder for the Aliens to suck you out of your car.

Comment

Welcome again Jim, to the SDC and to the SDC Forum.

There is no need for a "Cover" and there was none, it is merely a "Junction or Terminal Strip" to connect the Wires that are permanently attached to the Left Parking Light Socket, the Right Parking Light Socket and the Two Headlights to the main harness wires to the Headlight Switch and the High/Low Beam switch under the Floor.

There will be a Left Turn terminal stud, a Right Turn terminal stud, a Parking Light stud, a High Beam stud, and a Low Bean stud.
        The wires from both sides will go to these.

The Horn is directly wired to the Relay. The Relay input is hot wired to the Starter Solenoid, and it would be a good idea to put a in-line 20 Amp. Fuse Holder & Fuse in that wire since it is not fused.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Pepse,
          As Rich said in post # 4, the identical junction block is on my unmolested '57 Packard Clipper Wagon in the same location.
          Bill

Comment

If you Google Studebaker and look at unhood pictures, you will see that type of connection on many cars. My 52 has the same thing.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

On the one hand I didn't think of that. On the otherhand I also know what the wiring block is for. Ya see I don't have a shop manual yet. My mother-in-law thought there should be one around but we didn't find anything. So, I am relying on the boys from the Badger Wheels Chapter and of course here

And by the way, this might seem like a dumb question but the Scotsman's did have a dome light Right? It appears someone redid the roof upholstery and either forgot it or it didn't have one. I did not recall seeing one in the cans of parts for this car.

Later. Pepse.

Comment

It probably did have one, but it was covered with the Headliner, you might be able to feel the bracket under it.
                It probably would not have the Door Switches that were used on higher Trim Level cars though.

The Studebaker Parts Catalog would tell you for sure.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 08-08-2017, 05:22 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi, Jim; Welcome to the forum and the unique 1957 and 1958 Studebaker Scotsman cars (and 1959 Scotsman trucks, too!).

If you want to know everything there is to know about those interesting cars, you need the two issues of Turning Wheels with major articles on them: May 1981 and April 2011. I have both of them available per my Turning Wheels surplus sale in this topic:

As you see in the opening post, the cost to you would be $9 for the pair, postpaid. If you'd like to have them, say so and I'll set them aside for you as I have only one May 1981. Send $9.00 to my address in that topics's Opening Post and they'll be sent immediately upon receiving your check (or cash). BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

StudeRich,

I kinda thought that would be what happened but, then again my thought was "Ya never know, because this is a Scotsman". As for no door jamb switches? I had a few of them in my day.

BobPalma,

I will go there after I finish this. On a side note it is possible that somewhere in my late father-in-law's stack of Turning Wheels those issues might be there. But I am not going to gamble on it. Besides your price is very reasonable. And as the saying goes: "The check is in the mail". Well okay tomorrow. It is definitely what I need for this car.

As a side note when I was at my mother-in-law's Sunday she gave me some Stude books that I might read later and a folder that says '57 Stude. Well I got around to looking through it and there is a brochure for "1957 Studebaker Accessories" and sub-titled "Wonderful Things for Your Great New Car". WOW this is quite something. The accessories they offered 60 years ago. A Super-Power windshield defroster (had heating coils on the main junction to quickly defrost or defog your windshield, Automatic Hill Holder (for manual trans) lets you leave your right foot free to step on the gas and not worry about letting your foot off the brake (of course your left foot has the clutch pedal depressed), Automatic No Creep (for automatics trans) prevents engine creep during momentary stops without applying the foot brake, Rear door safety locks, Traffic Light Viewer, and other common and uncommon accessories for the time. The brochure is in decent condition. Nice addition even tho the Scotsman wouldn't have these accessories.

Later. Pepse.

Comment

Working...
                    X