Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need help..........2 barrel Stromberg Carburator, and brake question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: I need help..........2 barrel Stromberg Carburator, and brake question.

Hi All,

Re: 1964 Studebaker Champ 8E7, long bed, 4 speed stick, ( tried to put a pic on here but I cannot get it to work, sorry I'm not too computer literate just enough for simpler stuff)

Geez, I never am quite sure if I am spelling carburator right or not.

When my mechanic (retired guy) had rebuilt my 2 barrel stomberg carb., he got it all on and
    on the very last nut somehow dropped it into the engine compartment and it fell through
    onto the landscape rocks under the truck and we could not find it, not even with a magnet. Don't ask me how it could fall through but we searched the top of the engine for a long time and could'nt find it. Never work on a studebaker on landscape rocks I lost the little retention clips for the door cranks the same way, but luckily my O'Reilly's had a package of the right size and some smaller clips.
    The door panels are too far gone so I bought 1/4 in. luan 4 x 4 panels ( Home Depot $9.99) ( needed 2), and made a pattern and cut them out, then stained them traditional cherry and my sis-in-law is going to paint Ed (Big Daddy) Roth's Rat Fink ( the green one) on the panel sitting in the truck with the stick shift way above the top and his arm reached out to shift. On the passenger door it'll be the same but with the Rat Fink sitting in a woodie wagon. I wrote to Ed Roth's estate for permission a month ago and to date received no reply (He has a website still). My sis-in-law told me as long as I do it for purely personal use they approve. I will spray a clear coat over the panels when dry. The backside was waterproofed first as I know some rain water will get in there, and I don't want her artwork getting warped. I painted two light coats of roofing asphalt on the backside's of the panels and then put them out in the summer sun to bake them dry. It worked, if you allow to air dry in the garage it takes a while to get them past the sticky stage. I wore nitrile gloves and they really kept the stuff off my hands. Sorry for rambling.
    1)-Can anyone please tell me what size and thread pattern carb stud nut (8E7 2 brl strom.) I need to buy a replacement?

Also, we are doing a complete brake rebuild next, I got all the parts thankfully but the lines and
    he'll measure and buy lines. Here's my brake question. Do I need a drum brake proportioning valve for a new 1964 Studebaker Champ 8E7 truck? I am hearing two different stories. This truck will only take me and Kathy to Waffles-n-More on saturday mornings and maybe to Home Depot so I don't want to spend the money for a disc system. 2)- If you know your brakes please tell me what you think.
    Thank you,
    Robert

5/16" NF (national fine) thread. Most trucks don't have a proportioning valve, because the brake loads change with the freight load. Stock, they did not have them.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Hopefully, it did go into the landscape rocks and not down the throat of the carb.
      Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Thanks bezhawk, I do appreciate your info!
        robert,ariz.

Comment

Ugg, I never thought of that. Thanks tsenecal.
          robert

Comment

Went to your web site and your work is amazing. Thanks again for the info.

Comment

nut is probably on the windage tray (under the intake manifold)

Comment

Thanks, I'll get a magnetic tool and check.

Comment

Say what preparations will I need to my gasoline once I get the 8E7 Champ 259 cu in ready for driving?

Comment

After any vehicle has been setting for a prolong period, make sure you have good fuel filters before the fuel pump, and after also. To cut down on vapor lock with todays crappy alcohol gas, you may want to run a return line to the tank. Be sure to place an inline restriction of about.045 in the line or you will lose too much fuel pressure.
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Help please. I have the Champ running now with a new brake job done. The stromberg carb was rebuilt but it seems to run rich, I mean the exhaust is pretty stinky to the point it clings to your clothes. I think the choke is the problem. Should I
                      try to get the choke fixed or as suggested to me change out the stromberg to a carter. If you know about carb,s please advise me as I don't. I learned a lot since getting this Champ but really I am pretty ignorant about how things work.
                      Driving it was a shock the first time out. The 4 speed stick really has low gears, I feel like I should be shifting higher when I go down the road, and the steering has a foot of play, and the tranny has no syncro, so driving this truck takes a lot more concentration. I did have it flood once on a small incline, thank God there was no one behind me and I could roll back and re start it. There some smoke out the pipes but only when I accelerate the engine. I am running 10-30, should I switch to 10-40? I cannot justify putting much more money in it as I am already upside down and this is really just an old work truck with rust in the door bottom and here and there. My biggest concern right now is the smell of the exhaust, my wife won't ride in it anymore as the smell sticks to your body and clothes, like a too rich smell, it is not pleasant at all to be honest. Please advise, I take all advise seriously. Thanks, Robert. I want to thank AAA Brake and Tires in Prescott, Az for doing my brakes, Kent there is a master tech. and a hell of a nice man, so is his wife.

Comment

Is the choke working? The incorrect base gasket will not allow a vacuum pull through the choke housing. If it is working the tube to the choke housing will be too hot to touch. If it is not that hot, you need to have the base gasket with the notches on the venturi diameter which allow the vacuum pull to the choke system. Also check the loop in the intake manifold to make sure it allows air passage. Blow through it with compressed air to check.

Comment

The nuts are usually brass so don't expect to find it with your magnet. Buy a new one; it is not cost effective to spend much time looking for a 50 cent nut!

Comment

All the suggestions about your choke not operating properly sound right. The Stromburg carburetor is a simple, dependable and easily rebuildable unit. The Carter not so much. I would highly recommend staying with the Stromburg.

Comment

The 4-speed trans should have synchro in every gear but 1st. Did you check the trans gear lube? 4th gear is 1:1, just like non-OD car transmissions. Your rear axle ratio may be as low (high numerically) as 4.88:1, which would feel like you need another gear. Check the rear axle -- there may be a tag under one of the bolts giving the axle ratio.
                              Last edited by Skip Lackie; 11-05-2017, 02:59 PM.
                              Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                              X