Cimate Controlled Disaster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cimate Controlled Disaster?

We all know starting the car in the winter for 5 minutes is a very bad idea because the heat of the car attracts the moisture into the exhaust and engine.

We should also assume that simply opening the air conditioned garage (in which the car is stored) and seeing the immediate condensation on the chrome is telling us the condensation is also everywhere including the interior of the engine and switches.

Just making a point, that I'm sure most are aware of...

Driving these old birds is the cure for most ills. Fresh gas, hot oil, bearings being moved and lubed, seals being softened by oil....just saying...these ain't made to sit.

Starting the "engine" for just a few minutes at "ANY" point in time is a bad thing. If you can't take the car out for a 30 or so minute drive, don't even put the key into the ignition..!

Mike

Comment

Used to start cars and run them a few min. in Jan thaw but no longer do that. Above stated concerns outweighed circulating the oil rationale.

Comment

Originally posted by jg61hawk View Post
        ...We should also assume that simply opening the air conditioned garage (in which the car is stored)...Just making a point, that I'm sure most are aware of...Driving these old birds is the cure for most ills. Fresh gas, hot oil, bearings being moved and lubed, seals being softened by oil....just saying...these ain't made to sit.
        "most are aware of"???...I had to chuckle a little. Thinking of my humble upbringing, experiences and how, someway, despite not having certain "luxuries" so much of our population take for granted, and only see as a desperate "necessity," when it breaks down! AIR CONDITIONING?

Fourth born of a family nine kids, southern USA...and somehow, we managed to live a happy life with no air conditioned (anything).

Although I have had an air conditioned home for decades...maintaining an air conditioned garage is something I have yet to add to my worries. My wife has tried to get me to refer to, the cobbled together shed, where I keep my cars as a "Garage," but since I built it...at best it is still just a "SHED."

As we both age into "dawdle-hood," I am struggling with choosing between spending money to add a real "Garage," or a new Toy...like another Studebaker, motorcycle, tractor, pick-up truck, motor-home????....

As for cranking & running my internal combustion engines...and the resulting H20...I refuse to curl into a fetal position, but enjoy the challenge of overcoming the consequences. Once I'm done with it...whoever cleans up my mess, will know I had lots of fun making it.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Heat or cold is not an important issue when garaging a classic car, however moisture is. I strongly recommed using a dehumidifier to keep the air moisture level at no more than 40-50%. I used to have problems with clutches sticking on cars let to sit for lang periods of time. I have never again had that problem again since using a dehumidifier, which also prevents the formation of mold and mildew. When starting a car it is absolutely necessary that once started it is brought up and run at normal operating temperature, and preferable driven. Moisture in the engine and exhaust system does not come from the air, but rather, water is a by-product of combustion.
          Mike
          KCMO

Comment

To me, consistency seems the key. Its not good to let anything set for 6 months or more, no matter what the startup/warm up regimen is. Long as it is started and moved at least once every month or so, it will be OK. Doesn't matter if it is ten, 1 mile trips, or one that last 100 miles, as long as it is moving and operating everything. Otherwise, the tires get flat spots, and things tend to stiffen up or quit working, i.e. switches, gauges, heater motors , etc.. Not sure what I'd do if I lived in the North East, or Canada, except just not live there. Lived in Syracuse, NY from 1975-82, and never again. LOL

I use stainless exhaust, with PayLess mufflers, and cannot recall the last exhaust repair, other than an occasional manifold exhaust gasket.
            Last edited by JoeHall; 08-05-2017, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Coupe Express View Post
              Heat or cold is not an important issue when garaging a classic car, however moisture is. I strongly recommed using a dehumidifier to keep the air moisture level at no more than 40-50%. I used to have problems with clutches sticking on cars let to sit for lang periods of time. I have never again had that problem again since using a dehumidifier, which also prevents the formation of mold and mildew. When starting a car it is absolutely necessary that once started it is brought up and run at normal operating temperature, and preferable driven. Moisture in the engine and exhaust system does not come from the air, but rather, water is a by-product of combustion.
              Mike
              KCMO
              Agree. None of my vehicles are trophy-winners, but my garages are reasonably tight -- and the dehumidifiers run constantly for six months of every year.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
              X