Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck production question

I own a 1961 Champ 6E7-112

the serial number is E7 15991. According to my shop manual the starting serial number for 1962 is 16201. So it is late production for sure. My question is.... Did the company publish ending serial numbers for model years?

I have often wondered, is my truck the last 61 half ton V8 made.......
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Probably the only way to find those ending numbers might be going through the production orders but I would guess it was probably in the last 100 before the new numbers were chosen to start the next model year.

I am lucky in that I have two 7E Champs that sort of bookend the model year - My 7E7 is in the first 200 V8s produced and my 7E5 is in the last 80 six cylinders to roll off the line (Sep. 1961 and July 1962 for those who want a calendar reference)

Comment

A 6E7 is not only a 1/2 Ton 1961 "T" Cab Truck, but also a V8, so that Serial Number does reflect only those.
      No ending numbers were published that I know of, but Total Production Numbers by Year and MAYBE Model, have been published by other than Studebaker Corp.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Agree with 62Champ and Studerich. Studebaker did not publish ending serial numbers, but did produce production figures for each model, from which ending serial numbers can be inferred. However, it must be borne in mind that in most years a few serial numbers went unused. This could have been due to a damaged VIN plate, vehicle used for testing and not sold, etc. Starting serial numbers were usually published in September of each year, and were nearly always rounded up so the last two digits were 01.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
        X