Looking at a Lark for a "new" racecar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at a Lark for a "new" racecar

I am looking for another Lark to build into a 4-spd SBC Gasser. The 60 we ran at Drag Week is about to get back on the track and still sports the BBC/T400 we've had in it for the last 4 years. It is going to be raced at nostagic meets that allow automatics. The 60 I bought earlier this year is in really bad shape. To the point of not wanting to build as a gasser, but likely an all out tube chassis racecar.

So, yesterday I drive a few hours to check out a 61 that is "almost no rust". Not true. But the $1500 bottom line has me wondering if I should bite the bullet and buy the car and replace the rusty frame? Or look for another 2 door Lark at a lower price? Are poor condition cars really selling for $1500? Or, is there any engineless or 6 banger Larks out there that can be bought that don't need 100-150 hours to fix the rust first?

Anyone have something stashed or unloved? I don't mind fixing rust on a cheap car? But I am struggling with the thought of spending $1500 on one that needs a frame, part of the right firewall, cowl section, trunk floor repair, roll bar cut out and replaced correctly...etc.
    54 C Land Speed - 179.644 mph
    59 Lark Cruiser - 14.58 @ 99.30
    60 Lark Gasser 1 - 10.82 @ 122.83
    60 Lark
    63 Lark Slammed - 11.62 @ 116.3

Still some solid bodies at Chuck Naugle place in Tucson. They were selling them. Buy one for $300.00 and get the second one free.

Comment

A racy 66 could be cool. Chevy motor.
      54 Champion coupe
      48 Champion Convert

Comment

Originally posted by 54stude View Post
        A racy 66 could be cool. Chevy motor.
        https://rmn.craigslist.org/cto/d/196...226240576.html
        True. Hoping there's something a little closer....Hoping....
        60 Lark

Comment

Original Team & Sponsor- Rex Easley Motor Company Original engine - 1965 GM 283, T-10 4 speed transmission Rex Easley assumed his family's Studebaker dealership due to his father's death when he was 24. A bit of a playboy, Rex wanted to go racing. The 1964 Studebaker engines were heavy and didn't make much power, but in 1965 they closed their foundry, and GM supplied the 283 motors and the T-10 4 speeds. The car was updated, and was soon running door to door with the Mustangs and other cars. In 1966, Studebaker closed it's factory, and Rex put the car in storage as raced. Found in a machine shed after his death in 2004, it was restored by Taylor Racing in Sisters, Oregon. After a shakedown weekend early this year, the car is being competitively campaigned on the vintage racing circuit.
          54 Champion coupe
          48 Champion Convert

Comment

My experience has been that the right car will show up if you are patient. If you rush into a deal, a better car will appear next week after your money is spent.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
              My experience has been that the right car will show up if you are patient. If you rush into a deal, a better car will appear next week after your money is spent.
              So true....that's why I walked away from the 61.
              60 Lark

Comment

Listed as a 64, but a 62..

Last edited by SScopelli; 08-03-2017, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Here's one in Colorado Springs that looks to be really straight and solid for $1k. If the car has spent it's life in CO it will have minimal rust.

Comment

Andrew, i think i have what you are looking for i sending you a pm dannyo.

Comment

PM and email sent.
                      60 Lark

Comment

I haven't seen anything like what you are looking for around here for some time. Good luck on your search. I can't wait to see your gasser project come to fruition.
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                          I haven't seen anything like what you are looking for around here for some time. Good luck on your search. I can't wait to see your gasser project come to fruition.
                          I am pretty excited too. The 60 runs good at 10.91 at 122+, but it is for driving and only accepted in the north east gasser classes.

I want to build a purpose built competition car, legal in a bunch of the associations that are formed/forming. The parts that are accumulating are really cool. I picked up (3) 4-jets for $20 each, a tunnel ram for $75, a 296 SBC made from a real DZ 302 that was destroked for $600, fuellie heads for $80, a .655" lift roller cam for $5, a whole roadster chassis with a straight axle for $100 - I'l use the front end parts on the gasser and the rear 4-link on the chassis car, blow proof bell for $20, high-end flywheel and clutch package for $300, 9" rear for $10, 5.14:1 gears (2) sets for free, spool was $20, $50 Verti-gate, and the list goes on. I have a M22 with the big shafts and aftermarket case that will be used. I still need gages and front aluminum slots (GM pattern). It's going to be fun....
                          60 Lark

Comment

Hey I have a 60 2dr with no motor where are you located ? Am in Manitoba 75 miles north of US border . want couple hundred for it can send picks if interested .Not4u@nlis.ca .

Old Fart

Comment

I really enjoy the old school gasser theme cars , But in MHO the rules they make seem to change at a whim.. No automatics? there was more guys running gassers with hydro's etc. in the day. Very few stick cars. Ken Dondero was one of the few exeptions. My bud Butch called out a few of em at bakersfield...No takers.. I think they didn't want to see the tail lights of a 41 willy's with a license plate on the back of it

Comment

Working...
                              X