1958 Packard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1958 Packard

I need a wheel drum (14") front left for a 1958 Packard (studebaker).
    If you have one for sale or know where I can get one please advise.
    Thanks, Doug Osborn

You need a brake drum, correct?

Is it a finned drum or plain?

Plain = Studebaker V-8 front from 54-66. 58-66 will have right hand lugs

Finned = Studebaker V-8 from 56-66. 58-66 will have right hand lugs
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Douglas!

The IMPORTANT thing you need to know is that your Brake Drum is 11 Inches, not 14 Inches. It can be 11.060 Max Diameter after turning to be safe and legal.

And the correct one WILL have Right Hand Threaded Wheel Studs, but if necessary you could use a '56 or '57 smooth or Finned with Left Hand Threaded Studs.

Just for the record:

'54 to '57 V8 Studebakers with 232, 224 & 259 Engines have 11 Inch smooth FRONT drums with LEFT Hand Threads on the LEFT side of the Car and RIGHT Hand on the Right.

'54 to '57 V8 Studebakers with 232, 224 & 259 Engines have 10 Inch smooth REAR Drums with LEFT Hand Threads on the LEFT side of the Car and RIGHT Hand on the Right.

'56 to '57 V8 Studebakers with 289 Engines have Finned 11 Inch Front Drums with LEFT Hand Threads on the LEFT side of the Car and RIGHT Hand on the Right.

'56 to '57 V8 Studebakers with 289 Engines have Finned 10 Inch Rear Drums with LEFT Hand Threads on the LEFT side of the Car and RIGHT Hand on the Right.

The same FOUR Types and Sizes were used on 1958 to 1966 Drum Brake V8 Cars EXCEPT, the Wheel Studs were all changed to RIGHT Hand Thread.

Also, the '54 and '55's have different size Wheel Bearings so the Drums do not interchange to '56-'66 or vice versa.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 07-30-2017, 11:16 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The drum is finned and has the left hand threads. The wheel takes a 14" tire. Thanks, doug

Comment

Also, the '54 and '55's have different size Wheel Bearings so the Drums do not interchange to '56-'66 or vice versa.

I didn't know that. Thanks Rich.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I have 3 '58 Packard parts cars & can provide a good used drum. Studebaker discontinued the LH lugs in '58, but Packard used them in their final year of production.

Comment

58 packard parts

Originally posted by TX Rebel View Post
              I have 3 '58 Packard parts cars & can provide a good used drum. Studebaker discontinued the LH lugs in '58, but Packard used them in their final year of production.
              www.studebakersite.com
              What is your price on the 58 hub? I also need some other parts. Can you send me a list to me via e-mail?
              Thanks, Doug dougosborn58@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
              X