Bellcrank Wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Bellcrank Wear

I notice slight up and down movement when I checked my bellcrank. There are a number of options available to remedy this. My question is, where would the most likely wear be in the unit? Since a Stock bellcrank is bushed, I'm hopeing the wear would be the bushings, and not the shaft. If my assumption is correct, would it simplely be a matter of using the Stock shaft, and replacing the bushings with roller bearings?

First things first. Make sure it is the shaft moving, and not just the bellcrank. You may just get by tightening the pinch bolt. It HAS to be very tight.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

After you make sure the pinch bolt is tight (60-65 ft-lb.) shaft end play is adjusted with shims. Clearance between lower thrust washer and bellcrank bracket .001" to .003" per Avanti shop manual. 1959-63 Passenger Car Shop Manual says "no end play but shaft should turn freely". Depending on your vehicle bellcrank may have either bushings or bearings.

Comment

Most of the time the bearings are bad and often the shaft has wear marks or grooves on it as well. The problem is that the grease fitting hides in the rear of the frame cross member and never gets greased. Studebaker vendors sell a kit that has new bearings and a new shaft.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I saw that kit, along with the bearings only, and a rebuilt bellcrank (SI). I guess I'll wait to order whichever, when I can take the time to keep the car off the road for a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by rbisacca View Post
            After you make sure the pinch bolt is tight (60-65 ft-lb.) shaft end play is adjusted with shims. Clearance between lower thrust washer and bellcrank bracket .001" to .003" per Avanti shop manual. 1959-63 Passenger Car Shop Manual says "no end play but shaft should turn freely". Depending on your vehicle bellcrank may have either bushings or bearings.
            I didn't look it up, but I was thinking that the torque spec. on the cinch bolt is higher than that.
            Like others said, find the exact location of the play before buying any parts or doing any disassembly. I have found that bellcrank bushings/bearings are often replaced when only the cinch bolt needs tightening. If the car has had the cinch bolt loose for much time, the shaft will become barrel shaped and the cinch bolt will not stay tight and a new or turned shaft is needed.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
              I saw that kit, along with the bearings only, and a rebuilt bellcrank (SI). I guess I'll wait to order whichever, when I can take the time to keep the car off the road for a few days.
              So you have it on the road and running? Great! For me, that is a very exciting time with an old Stude, especially if it has not been woken up for several years. I'd give it at least 500-1000 miles to wake up the various components that have not moved in many years. Might wanna check all 20 or so, front steering and suspension bolts, if not already, and insure all the 20 or so front end fittings have been greased. Other than that, just drive and iron the bugs out of it, with lots of local drives. Keep an eye on anything rubber, i.e. belts and hoses, as they can let go without warning.

Congrats on getting her on the road

Comment

A '56 Sky Hawk would have originally had Torrington caged roller Bearings NOT Bushings.

Those started in 1963, unless someone replaced the Housing and Bearings with a "Bushing Housing" and Bushings, quite unlikely.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks, Rich...I did not know that. If the pinch bolt is tight, then it looks like the kit with the shaft and bearings is in order...

Comment

Put your finger on top of the bell crank, where the shaft comes through, and have someone gently turn the steering wheel back and forth 1/4 to 1/2 turn. If the bell crank is not tight enough on the shaft, you will feel the shift. Next, put finger on the bottom side, to feel the large washer and any sideways movement as someone gently turns the steering wheel again. If you feel the washer shift sideways, and/or up and down, it is the bearing and pin. The bearing and pin are available as a set, and if n doubt, swap yours out.

Comment

Joe gives some good advice.

Is this the 17,000 mile Sky Hawk? You wouldn't expect much of any wear on the pin with that low a mileage. Wouldn't be surprised if you find a loose bellcrank bolt.
                      Paul
                      Winston-Salem, NC
                      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

It is also possible the four mount bolts are loose, the ones that hold the pin housing assembly in place. They are easy enough to check with 9/16" wrenches.

Comment

All, good advise...thanks, guys...

Comment

Loose pinch bolt...

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
                              Loose pinch bolt...
                              Yep, been there done that.
                              Bez Auto Alchemy
                              573-318-8948
                              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln