No announcement yet.

Could this be another Lark Marshal? 1962 Lark 4-door available in La Habra CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could this be another Lark Marshal? 1962 Lark 4-door available in La Habra CA

If I were a criminal, I wouldn't want to get caught and have to ride in this Lark. Supposedly a former police cruiser. 289 with 4V, 4-speed manual on the floor with hill holder, twin traction rear end. Could it be a Lark Marshal?

Mark L

Pretty Car, Scary looking Interior!

A Cruiser is certainly not your usual model to use for Police work since purpose built Heavy Duty Sedans and Wagons were available, but you never know without seeing the Production Order or more information.

Definately not a Marshall.

A Spotlight and the optional Gauge Package (Oil/Amps.) does not a Police Car make!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 07-28-2017, 10:47 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Doesn't look like a factory Marshall, no roll bar, but not sure if 62's came with a roll bar. May have been used as a small town police car, but certainly doesn't look like a fleet police car.

Comment

Can anyone else enlarge the engine room photo to read the Body Tag? I did so and it appears to be 62V-Y3, but I can't tell for sure.

If it is Y3, it could certainly have been a Police Car.

Edit: It looks like it started out as a Y8 Cruiser after all, per Rich's later observations. BP
        Last edited by BobPalma; 07-30-2017, 03:33 AM.
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          Can anyone else enlarge the engine room photo to read the Body Tag? I did so and it appears to be 62V-Y3, but I can't tell for sure.

If it is Y3, it could certainly have been a Police Car. BP
          I enlarged it 5x, but it just wasn't clear enough to read. At least I couldn't read it.
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Did the optional gauge package only come with white face gauges ? I have a dash with the extra gauges but not a fan of the white gauges .
            NEIL G.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
              Did the optional gauge package only come with white face gauges ? I have a dash with the extra gauges but not a fan of the white gauges .
              There were also dark face gauges........I noticed the white faced gauges, and wondered why those were used.
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
              Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Bob, I agree, looks like Y3. Can't get a clear view though.
                sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

If it is Y3, it could certainly have been a Police Car. BP
                  As you probably know, a 1962 Y3 could also have been a Rural Route Lark or other heavy duty fleet application, as well as one of the Marshal models.
                  I remember some of these 1960s models used as rural mail delivery vehicles in this area in the 1960s.

EDIT:
                  The way this particular early 1962 car is equipped, I think that it was built as a Pursuit Marshal and not in red.
                  Last edited by studegary; 07-29-2017, 04:56 PM.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It was a Silver Car originally, I enlarged the Body Tag many times after saving the Pic, and it looks to me like a '62V-Y8 Luxury (Cruiser).

The reason I think it is NOT a Marshall are those Cruiser only; Door Map Pockets, opening, chromed, rear vent windows with latch handles, Simulated Walnut fully Padded Dash, with padded radio surround (missing) and knee padding, mostly Cruiser/Daytona only items, not Y3.
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 07-29-2017, 05:22 PM.
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      It was a Silver Car originally, I enlarged the Body Tag many times after saving the Pic, and it looks to me like a '62V-Y8 Luxury (Cruiser).

The reason I think it is NOT a Marshall are those Cruiser only; Door Map Pockets, opening, chromed, rear vent windows with latch handles, Simulated Walnut fully Padded Dash, with padded radio surround (missing) and knee padding, mostly Cruiser/Daytona only items, not Y3.
                      Thanks, this makes sense. It is just missing its "Cruiser" nameplates on the front fenders (probably when it was painted).
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
                        The White faced optional Oil and Amp. Gauges were made for the '61 Lark and the '62 Deluxe Larks. But dealers and maybe even the Factory put them in and sold them for Trucks and '62 Lark Regals, Daytonas and Cruisers that used the Black faced gauges, possibly to get rid of them or just unknowingly.
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It is still an interesting Cruiser. I would like to see the build sheet to see it if came with bucket seats and a 4-speed.

If so, its a twin to this one: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...9828&styleid=1

Craig

Comment

Agreed, Rich; the opening rear door vent windows clinch it. The rest of the interior has been so made over that anything could have been changed, but it is highly unlikely someone would have changed fixed rear vents to functional ones.

Interestingly and as an aside, the 1959-1964 BODY Parts book distinctly says the Y3 is Police Car, not that this car is one. BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

looks like a pimp mobile...

Comment

Working...
                              X