A dreaded Chevy question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A dreaded Chevy question

I DO have 2 Studebakers, but I also have a '49 Chevy Fleetline 4 door. I am getting ready to replace the torque tube driveline with some more modern components and I have a question. I have a Saginaw full synchro 3 speed and a matching bell housing that both came from a late 60's Chevy with a 230 or 250 six cylinder. My question is, will the bell housing that fits a 230/250 also fit an earlier design 235? I have a very good 235 in the car now and would like to keep it. THANKS!
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

No, The 235 was used until late 60s then the same bell housing fit ALL CHEVY engines V8 or 6, The trans will probably bolt to the 235 bell housing, If I remember right.

S 10 is the best chose for rear end, be advised the the rear spring CENTER PIN in not center you will need to drill a hole in the spring mount pad to center the rear end (front to rear) seems like 1 1/2" back.

Check it out, Good luck.

Johnny

Comment

Johnny, if I remember correctly, the 235 was last used in 1962 (at least in passenger cars) and was superseded starting in 1963 with the 194, 230, 250, 292 series which used 7 main bearings. Are you certain that the 194, etc. bell housing will not bolt to the 235? Thanks.
      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)

Comment

Howard: Try langdonsstovebolt.com for any questions and parts about Chevy inline 6 cylinder engines. Good people to deal with and ask questions. I have purchased parts from him in the past for my 1966 Chevelle with a 230 inline 6 cylinder good people to deal with.

John S.

Comment

Thanks John. I just emailed Tom Langdon with my questions.

Comment

I made that swap to a 1950 GMC in 1979. It worked well, and I still drive it. For that case: I kept the original bell housing. The 3 spd Saginaw bolted in, and the shaft was correct. I needed only minor fabrication to bolt the transmission to the original cross member and to connect the shift linkages to the original column shifter. I used a differential (3.08:1) from a 1972 Suburban. It has the same 6 bolt pattern. I had to make brackets for it. I had a new drive shaft made.

If your transmission will bolt into your existing bell housing, your project may be not to hard to accomplish.

Comment

Robert, that sounds like the solution. I'll have to take a close look at the existing bell housing and see if it has the correct bolt pattern for the Saginaw. Thank You!

Comment

As per post #2 and this link below it seems the 235 engine cannot use the bellhousing from the 194/230/250/292 engines.

'64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Right wittsend. Looks like I need a '55 to '62 235 bell housing. Anyone got one?

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
                    Right wittsend. Looks like I need a '55 to '62 235 bell housing. Anyone got one?
                    Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-62-CHEV...FYKj-B&vxp=mtr

A couple listed

Bob

Comment

Thanks Bob.

Comment

Working...
                      X