54 stude drag car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 54 stude drag car.

I'am trying to talk my son into doing this to his new drag car he just got. This is what happens when you dont use your head with 1100 hp on a damp race track. He was doing his Nhra. license runs this Sat night in Iowa and it got late and the track was a lot more damp than we thought. Car is sure busted up but all the safety tools worked and he walked away with out a scratch just a lighter pocket book and a bruised ego. Sad thing is he has only had it two weeks and the week before he was running 10.40 AT 144 mph at the same track with a ton of throttle stop in it.I told him to back it down but he was bound and determined to make his one full out pass he needed. From a nice race car to parts in about a second and a half. Seeing as how we have to rebuild it it may as well be a stude.
    Attached Files

What a shame..Glad he's ok , and I agree a stude would be a great Idea!

Comment

Where and when did you get that Red '53 Stude. Pic at Woodburn, Oregon?

I have to wonder if that could be the '53 Stude. we raced against in 1992 at Woodburn at the International Meet "Unofficial Stude. Drag Race".
      If it is the same Car, it was Blue then, had a hood scoop and was named Blue Byou.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 07-26-2017, 09:13 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes it was a shame. He found out the hard way why I preached to him so hard when he was younger and we where running a 10 sec vega about how you never ever get back in the throttle when you have to lift on a drag car. AS soon as you lift you unload the suspension and as soon as you get back in it it will spin and most times turn you right around. Best to just coast it out the end and make another run in one piece. It started to spin just before the 1/8 mile and he lifted and got back in it twice the second time it spun hard and made a hard left turn and shot straight across the track headfirst into the guard rail. Then lifted the rear off the ground and swung around and drug the passenger side down the rail for a couple car links and then swung around again so it was pointed back at the guard rail and slowly slid to a stop in the center of the track. By this time it had no Lt side, Most of the front was gone and the front suspension was ripped off.

Comment

Not necessarily.
          If you have enough experience with the car, you can fairly easily get back into the throttle...you just do it "smoothly". Back when I had my Pro Gas Anglia (98" wheelbase !) I won more than a few races, needing to get out and back into the throttle. Owned that car just over 13 years, ran 9.70's - 9.90's depending on the track.
          I sold it with the same paint and fender configuration it had when I put it together.
          So yes, it can be done, and sometimes, it may be required while racing. Seat time and practice.

Mike

Comment

All that really matters is you still have a son in 1 piece. Have fun, be safe. Cheers, Junior
            sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Mike If you can pedal a door slammer your doing a hell of a job. Most that I have seen that try it end up where they don't want to be. A low hp street car with street tires is one thing but when you have 1100 hp and a ton of torque in a 2000 lb car your in a new ball game. This thing has a 572 chev big block with a glide and 4.56 gears so she had some grunt. Plus it was part my fault as his last run was at 10.30 at night and there was so much moisture in the air and it had cooled down a lot. The dew on the windshield was so bad we had to keep wiping it in staging so he could see. Didn't even thing about what it was doing to the track.

Comment

Sorry the son had to get his lesson the expensive way.

You and Mike know way more about high horsepower door slammers, but is it possible the rear tires today are so wiggly, more traction, but no stability other than dead straight?

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

I don't think so jack but he had just bought this car and I have no idea how old the slicks where. That can make a big difference. It will have new ones when he runs it again I can tell you that. It was having problems hooking to the track earlier in the evening when he was doing his 60 fts and 1/8 mile passes. About the time it would shift to high it would break loose but he was at that point out as far as he needed for his license runs so he just let off and coasted out the top end. The thing even with the traction problems had some 1.10's 60 ft. times.That will get you going when you can cover the first 60 ft from a dead stop in just over a second.

Comment

Yea, I should have said, good to hear your son is ok.

On the other hand, I'm very surprised the track officials even "let" you run with moisture on the track. A car like that will never come out on the good side of a wet track.

Jack -

Actually not so much. From screwed rim to tire or full bead lock wheels, while they obviously aren't made for cornering, their soft sidewalls are somewhat forgiving as long as the correction (steering input) is again (like the throttle) slow or softly done. Though I went thru Frank Hawleys Drag racing school years back. Drove his alcohol Funny Car. THOSE cars need forceful inputs into the steering wheel. Short cars like my Anglia need VERY careful slow input to correct problems. I'm guessing sw's sons car would also require a bit of a slower wheel input for course correction. I know that Pro Stock cars (similar wheel base to sw's car) also need careful wheel correction at 150 to 200mph to keep the car upright and off the wall.

But again, as has been noted...a wet track is no place for a drag race car..cept maybe the burnout area..! And as a guy said to me a few weeks back..."**** happens" !

Mike

Comment

Tough lesson to learn, but good that he survived. I learned decades ago, that reaching the return road in one piece was a greater priority than winning a race. At 75, my reaction time has left the building, so I only race the clock. I still abort any pass that's not dead straight and hooked at WOT.

Comment

Hoxxoh That was always my thoughts to and what I preached to him in high school when we where racing a Vega wagon bracket car that ran low 10's. This was his car and I guess he felt he could do as he wanted which was true but he found out the hard way father knows best. The thing is this was just license runs and he could have come back at another time to make his full out pass and what he had done would have still counted. But things happen everyone is OK. thank god and what was tore up can be rebuilt and come back and finish what he started on another day with a better understanding. I know a guy who crashed a Henry- J twice on the top end before he found out what was going wrong. Seems the wind was getting under it at anything over 150 mph and lifting it off the ground.

Comment

Sons race car update

Well he went back with another chevy. 68 camaro and rebuilt all the parts out of the monte Carlo and installed in the body he got out of Texas. 8.30s at 160's in the 1/4 and 5.30's at 130's in the 1/8. 1.189 60 ft times so it's a complete animal. I have video if I can find a way to post.

Comment

Hope I have this worked out. It's some fun video to watch if your into drag racing. All I could get was a picture of the car to load up so I'll keep working on it.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Looking forward to the videos. That is a beast. Congrats to him and you.

P.S. The best way I've found to load videos is to put them on youtube and then just copy/paste the link.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X