Standards for automotive care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standards for automotive care

I was reading the comments in a recent thread about an article Bob Palma did for Hemings Classic cars. I'm going to get a copy of this so I can read it. It touches on a core subject for me. I'm a carpenter and I work exclusively on historic or architecturally significant homes and buildings. In my line of work we follow the Department of Interior Standards for preservation, rehabilitation, restoration and reconstruction. https://www.nps.gov/tps/standards.htm
    I know of no guidelines for the automotive world to follow in regards to how they treat their cars. For example, is it a car restored when using oem body panels, or is this a reconstruction of a car? I know it can get a bit nitpicking but when terms like survivor and restored are used, to what standard do we use?
    I believe our community needs a common vernacular to identify the processes. We need to have a guideline to how we proceed especially in the midst of a project and decisions need to be made. Standards can be used as a foil when suggestions are made about how to move forward on a project.
    If interested, please read the link and replace "buildings and structures" with automobiles. I'm curious to hear what you think. I believe this is a good template for our community.

With an Automotive "Restoration" or "Repair" there are too many variables like Vehicle use and the BIG one: COST!

So it is my opinion that there can be NO exact "Standard".

You maybe could have rough "Categories" Like:

(3) Mechanical Repair to make all systems function as they should without regard for "Cosmetics."

(2) Restoration Mechanically and Cosmetically, Frame ON.

(1) Restoration Mechanically and Cosmetically Body OFF.

We do this for Fun not profit, and not to please anyone or any Standard but our selfs.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

All the car hobby needs is government standards for guide lines to drive the final nail in the hobby

Comment

Not a government standard!

Comment

Shhhhh.... Big Brother is Listening!

Comment

You mean a standard vocabulary so a guy who restores his car to "original condition" will understand that it is only ORIGINAL...ONCE? Count me in!
            Mike Davis
            1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Working...
            X