X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Fan

Will a 6 blade fan fit A 289?
    Ron Acton

Yes. PN 1547520P is shown as the 6 blade Heavy Duty fan used on 59-64 V8s.

Comment

Just installed a nylon(?) flex fan in my 64 Hawk. It is 'sposed to move lots of air, but have not yet tried it. With AC and even with an Al radiator it would heat up at low or no speeds. Hate to go to an elecrtic fan but if this is inadequate it is the next step. Fan avail at Summit.

Comment

I installed a 350 Chev into a Jeep aluminum radiator in my 289 Sky Hawk. I then installed a PT Cruiser electric fan and an after market thermostat switch for it. After a regular trip, the bottom tank is cool to the touch, and not a HINT of coming close to overheating...

Comment

A good, HD radiator and fan are important, but engine friction plays a major role in how cool or hot it runs. All else equal, a motor that is well broken in, i.e. 20,000 miles or more, will run cooler than one with a fresh rebuild that included boring and new pistons. Of course too, coolant passages must be clean, no matter how broken in, or what radiator/fan is used.

BTW, the OEM, six blade fan for AC Studes is as good as it gets, to move air through the radiator, both going down the road and sitting still. But it is increasingly noisy as the RPM go up.

Comment

Do you have a shroud installed. If not, that could be one cause of your issue. Bob

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
              BTW, the OEM, six blade fan for AC Studes is as good as it gets, to move air through the radiator, both going down the road and sitting still. But it is increasingly noisy as the RPM go up.
              Agreed. I swapped the 4-blade for an OEM 6-blade with clutch when I rebuilt Barney, and it's been great. I don't notice any appreciable noise increase at speed, but then I never have him over 60mph, and the exhaust note is a bit... aggressive

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I had a stock 6 blade fan in my GT with air, until it was trashed by destroying the shroud when an engine mount broke. I never had a cooling issue though. I replaced it with a 7 blade SS flex fan, a little smaller for more shroud clearance. I did need to make a new spacer that would fit the large snout of the stude water pump and the small hole of the new fan. I replaced the shroud and engine mount. Still no cooling issues. Summer here is often over 100F, fathers day was 111F, it's 103F right now.

As for noise, the flex fan is noisy but not bothersome. My Gt has a nice exhaust note too without being loud. The only hinderance to conversation at speed is wind noise, just can't find where its comming from. I only see 60 mph, just before I shift into 3rd.

One thing I learned years ago with a '53 coupe, 6 cylinder, that did have cooling issues, I removed the seal between the hood and cowl, this allowed more underhood heat to escape significantly reducing temps and eliminating the cooling issue. My GT also has no cowl seal, I replaced it with rubber blocks to maintain hood fit.
                Last edited by bensherb; 07-23-2017, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X