'37 drive train value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '37 drive train value?

I finally met the person who owns the '37 Dictator coupe below. Really nice guy who did not know SDC existed so he got the two brochures I had in the Lark's glove box. The complete drive train out of the '37 was replaced with all the components from a 2001 Firebird. Before I left he asked if I thought anyone would want all the old stuff off the car. It is engine, transmission, drive shaft, rear end, rear springs, front springs and all the brake stuff on all four corners. He said it all sat under cover but in the last year the cover has been pulled off and it has had some weather exposure...any ideas if it has reasonable value or scrap value.

Somebody might want it.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Did he say if the frame is available? How about if it has planar suspension (looks like it had a conventional axle from the picture). How about overdrive? Did he say how complete it was as far as things like manifolds, starter, generator? Did he say if the engine is free? Is there any steering gear? How can he be contacted?

Thanks. Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tomlewis View Post
        Did he say if the frame is available? How about if it has planar suspension (looks like it had a conventional axle from the picture). How about overdrive? Did he say how complete it was as far as things like manifolds, starter, generator? Did he say if the engine is free? Is there any steering gear? How can he be contacted?

Thanks. Tom
        From what I understood, it was everything that came off the car - but that doesn't mean someone tossed the generator or something when it was pulled, because who wants that old stuff. I did not mention the steering column - it has a new tilt column in it. The frame is still under the car so I know that is not available. I could always arrange to have a look at it to get a more complete photos or something. I don't want to give out any contact information for privacy reasons - his business is less than 10 miles from the house.

Comment

Thank you. I appreciate the information. I'm always interested in stuff like this even though I don't have a current project that needs it. I once dragged a '37 parts car home to Missouri from west Texas and it was amazing how many parts I actually wound up using from that hulk.

Thanks again. Tom

Comment

The restoration of my 1938 Commander Coupe was greatly aided by 3 wonderful guys that provided me parts from cars that they modified but retained the original components so the parts were available when I needed them. The cost of freight and relatively low demand will probably preclude these parts selling for high dollars but I hope you can get this fellows contact information and what all he has to Tom....as Tom provided me with an engine, horns, and lots of good advise.

Comment

If it's a good OD trans. it's well worth $200. Engine if free probably $150+, depending on condition. The rest maybe $150. How about the seats, floor pans and the radiator?

Comment

Value is very elusive and regionally timed. Like a lot of leftover stuff and vehicles on here = the value drops quickly if not taken in the 1st week or so.... After that, something like this is like the old piano out on the porch...... can you get someone to drag it away for free !

Comment

Working...
                X