57 Commander Jack storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 Commander Jack storage

Would someone please post a photo of how the jack is stored in a 57 Commander 4dr , where the spring attaches?

There should be a small metal Loop/Hook at the outboard, Right rear corner of the floor, it goes from there to a hole in the movable part of the Bumper Jack.

Always carry a Hydraulic Bottle Jack or Scissor Jack to lift the Car, the bumper Jacks are a joke because they are dangerous and damage the Bumper.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 07-16-2017, 11:45 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Rich, I do carry a small pouch with a hydraulic jack.

Comment

Any pics guys? I know how the spring attaches. Where does the jack lie? Independent of the tire, wedged against the tire??

Comment

Here is page from Owners manual 57 Clipper Jack and Tire location
          Attached Files

Comment

I'm at the stage of remounting my original spare and jack assembly as well for my '59 Lark 2dr ht. I don't have a spring and can't seem to find any method of securing the jack itself on the right side. No studs or bolt holes are evident. Any help or suggestions?
            Thanks, Bill

Comment

The '57 Sedan jack secures to the Right Inner Fender through the square hole in a Bracket under the front Lid opening.

The Larks just lay under the tire, clamped by the tire with the Large Washer and center bolt holding it down.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                Would someone please post a photo of how the jack is stored in a 57 Commander 4dr , where the spring attaches?
                Tim- I believe the 57 is the same as 56. attached are page from my owner's manual and picture of jack in the trunk of my 56.
                Nick
                Click image for larger version

Name:	jack1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1715672

Click image for larger version

Name:	jack2.jpg
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1715673
                Last edited by njonkman; 07-20-2017, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the photos. I guess I need the retainer under the wing nut, I was putting the jack base against the wheel.

Comment

Rich,
                    In my unmolested '59 Lark, I can see the spare and jack base retains the wheel assembly with a center bolt. I even have the cardboard cover which states "slide" left & right on the jack base. On the right side up high there is a rubberized pad for the jack to sit on but once the spring is attached there doesn't seem to be enough pressure to hold the jack down securely. There is a raised relief on the floor for the jack to rest (lock) against and it has a small hole for the spring to hook into and then reattach up to the sliding mechanism on the jack itself. I understand you are then supposed to tension the spring and jack by activating the sliding mechanism until pressure is noted(this is what appears in the owner's manual). But as I stated it doesn't seem to be substantial enough to secure properly at that top tab. The jack itself will probably never be used again but I would like it to appear as original as possible and not flop around in driving conditions.
                    Thanks for your assistance.
                    Cheers, Bill

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                      Thanks for the photos. I guess I need the retainer under the wing nut, I was putting the jack base against the wheel.
                      I have a spare new retainer from Classic Enterprises I paid $15.00 for but never used. Let me know if interested.
                      Nick

Comment

The retainer for a W body, the Commander, IS the jack base.Click image for larger version

Name:	20170720_134715.jpg
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	1715675 Don't know why pic loaded sideways, it's up in my phone gallery.
                        Re: post #8, NOT the same as 56. Thanks tho.
                        I should have looked in my books, duh!
                        Last edited by tim333; 07-20-2017, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X