Motor with a B prefix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor with a B prefix?

Is there any way to trace motor # B-118? Any other facts or history? A friend has one in an Avanti.
    Thanks,
    Chuck

Originally posted by cstude1 View Post
    Is there any way to trace motor # B-118? Any other facts or history? A friend has one in an Avanti.
    Thanks,
    Chuck
    Sounds like one of the very rare 'REAL DEAL' Studebaker R3 (4?) V8's!!!!!!

Comment

I believe that is a fairly high number. I would guess that it was sold as an engine alone by Studebaker or Granatelli.
      There are people that track these things (not me). Hopefully, they will chime in with some better information.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Some info here:

Below is an excerpt from this page with the Avanti numbers: http://www.studebaker-info.org/Rseri...enghistory.txt

Does your friend have one of these?

"Nine Production R3 built & delivered - serial number r5089 turquoise 4 spd, r5237 black 4 spd, r5394 white 4 spd, r5532 turq 4 spd, r5546 gold 4 spd, r5593 grey auto, r5625 black auto, r5642 white auto, r5643 white auto."
        Mark L

Comment

Originally posted by cstude1 View Post
          Thanks,
          Chuck
          John Shanahan compiled a roster of R3 and R4 engines, the last updated copy I have is from 2013, and B-118 is not listed. Looks like a previously unknown engine, at least in those circles.

I think John's health has prevented him from making any updates since.
          Last edited by mbstude; 07-13-2017, 06:23 PM.

Comment

That was one of the last blocks sold by Joe G. I remember B119, sometime in late 68. He closed up shop in early 69. I left there in April and they were closing the door behind me. I bought B112 from Joe and sold it to Lional Stone in 1980, we put it in his Studebaker Korean war Ton and a half weapons carrier. So I figure they didn't go much higher than 120 something.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
              That was one of the last blocks sold by Joe G. I remember B119, sometime in late 68. He closed up shop in early 69. I left there in April and they were closing the door behind me. I bought B112 from Joe and sold it to Lional Stone in 1980, we put it in his Studebaker Korean war Ton and a half weapons carrier. So I figure they didn't go much higher than 120 something.
              Always impressive to hear from someone who was actually there.

Comment

Working...
              X