Modern paint for 53K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern paint for 53K

I need to paint my 53K. I last did it in Nitrocellulous Lacquer 30 years ago. It is Chippewa Green. Does anyone have a formula or color code for Acrylic Enamel or urethane that is close?
    Fred

Try Bill Hirsch Auto for a gallon of Nitrocellulous lacquer. This is a common finish for guitar restorations and still available as far as I know.

Comment

I painted a 1953 Commander Starliner with nitrocellulous lacquer 45 years ago. The last that I knew, it was still good. I have also used it on other cars. I believe that there are still places where you can get it.
      I believe that you will eventually have a problem if you try modern synthetic paints over it. I would recommend completely removing it rather than painting over it.
      Why do you say that you "...need to paint..." the car? A very fine grit wet sand will bring it back if there is any paint left.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The paint is cracking. It held up well for 25 years, but the last 5 have seen it deteriorate.
        Fred

Comment

Originally posted by 53starliner View Post
          The paint is cracking. It held up well for 25 years, but the last 5 have seen it deteriorate.
          This looks like double the reason that you should strip it down to bare steel.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

That's my plan...
            Fred

Comment

Here is my '53 painted with Dupont Centari acrylic enamel in 2001. The paint store was able to mix the Chippewa Green w/o any problems. I would say its spot on.

The roof color Lombard Green posed a bit more challenge. I got a vintage paint chip sheet with Lombard Green on it from a vendor at a swap meet and went through all likely greens in a large dupont chip book I got at a defunct body shop auction and matched up 1971 Dodge truck Pine Green. I had to get that in Mason brand but it is also acrylic enamel. Its extremely close, even in bright sun, maybe a ~hair~ more blueish but you'd have to put 2 samples side by side in bright light to tell.

Click image for larger version

Name:	53 by wheat field 2007.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1715547

Click image for larger version

Name:	53 at BTTF 2010 by Bob Waites 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	1715548

I took the top picture in 2007. The 2nd one was taken by Bob Waites in 2010 at BTTF in St Paul.

Somehow I recall that Dupont spun off their auto paint and its under a different brand name now???

Jeff in ND

Comment

If you have a door jamb or other low exposure area, why not let a paint supplier just do a color match with the color meter? Probably as close or closer than an old formulation with today's materials. Bob

Comment

I dont much care for the base-coat clear-coat stuff they've been using lately..... doesn't hold up at all......

good for the life of a modern car..... on my stude it's bubbling up. and coming off....

The 40 year old acrylic enamel is still there under the primer. Go figure.

Comment

I painted my Champ in 2001 with BC/CC, the truck is not always garaged, so gets a fair amount of sune and acid rain. I am also not faithful in waxing, and yet it is holding up well. Too bad my lack of body skills is showing up.

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
                    I dont much care for the base-coat clear-coat stuff they've been using lately..... doesn't hold up at all......

good for the life of a modern car..... on my stude it's bubbling up. and coming off....

The 40 year old acrylic enamel is still there under the primer. Go figure.
                    Ron Dame
                    '63 Champ

Comment

Paint Color Reference Website SBS

click here ==> http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...aker&year=1964

They have a great cross reference to the original formulas for Studebaker in multiple brands.
                      Last edited by SScopelli; 07-20-2017, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Went to Carquest with mine. They called Dupont and came up with the exact paint in Nason acryllic enamel. You need to have a 3M party. Lots of 400 wetordry. some sanding blocks burgers and not too much beer ( dont clear coat)

Comment

Working...
                        X