Location of antenna on 62 GT Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Location of antenna on 62 GT Hawk

In looking at pictures of 62 GT Hawks I do not see any antennas located on the rear fenders next to the trunk lid. Did any have antennas located there?

Thank you,
    Jimmie
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

The rear antenna was located in the middle of the trunk lid near the rear window.

Comment

The Studebaker Museum's Informational Guide to 1962 GT Hawk includes this reference (page 6):
      "A Sales Letter dated July 25, 1961 noted that 'A stainless steel moulding had been added to the crown of the Hawk's front fenders which makes it impossible to install a cowl antenna. Therefore, the deck lid is the only antenna available for the 1962 model Hawk.' This held true for early models, but customer and dealer demand made Studebaker's engineers rethink their 'impossible' statement. During Studebaker's 38 day strike in January-February 1962, they had time to develop a manual cowl antenna. Unfortunately, they didn't go all the way and figure out how to install the style with the internal control knob..."

Hope this helps. My 1962 has a deck-lid-mounted antenna, so I can't help much with variants.

Comment

The dealer who put the radio in my dad's '62 just drilled a hole in the driver side fender and mounted it there... - they also put the two mirrors half way down the top of the fenders and basically made them worthless...

Last edited by 62champ; 11-11-2021, 04:08 PM.

Comment

The 62 GT I owned had the antenna installed on the rear fender next to the trunk lid. It had never been installed ON the trunk lid. Factory radio with front and rear speaker. So they do fit there.
          KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I don't think my 62 GT has the factory antennae install as it has dual antennae's on the rear fenders .
            I would prefer the trunk mount as I like it best . When the car goes in for major body and paint I will for sure
            be looking for a trunk mount antennae .
            Attached Files
            Love my Lark

Comment

My thinking is that because it is so unique to have a Deck Mounted Antenna common to only a few Cars of the '60's Era i.e. Thunderbird, and it WAS original to '62 GT's I would definitely want one.

Lots of old 50's Cars had dual rear mount Antennas, Factory and many aftermarket.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 07-11-2017, 11:48 AM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Some of the early reproduction trunk mounted antennas did not work properly and gave very poor signal to the radio. Hopefully the newer reproductions are better.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Your right about that RadioRoy .. The car sucks for radio reception . Luckily I'm happy with hearing that great 289 motoring down the road ., hehe .
                  Love my Lark

Comment

Originally posted by Jett289 View Post
                    Your right about that RadioRoy .. The car sucks for radio reception . Luckily I'm happy with hearing that great 289 motoring down the road ., hehe .
                    If your car has dual antennas, make sure only one is connected electrically. The second one is supposed to be a dummy. Connecting both can actually degrade the antenna reception.

I'm with you on the V-8 exhaust notes. Sweet!
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Originally posted by Jett289 View Post
                      Your right about that RadioRoy .. The car sucks for radio reception . .
                      You can adjust the antenna trimmer on the radio. That might help, as it "tunes" the radio to the characteristics of your particular car's body for maximum signal transfer from the antenna. here are the instructions. These work on any AM car radio and should be performed any time the radio is removed for service, or put in another car, or a new antenna is installed.

The antenna trimmer must be adjusted to match the radio to the unique characteristics or your particular car body. On 63 and newer, the trimmer is above the manual tuning knob. You can see it if you pull the knob off. On earlier years, it is a recessed screw, or a thumb screw sticking out and it is near the antenna input jack.

Adjusting the antenna trimmer
                      1. Install the radio in the vehicle and hook up the antenna
                      2. Locate the antenna trimmer - It’s usually a screw adjustment near the antenna jack
                      3. Wait until after dark
                      4. Warm up the radio for 15-20 minutes so it is stable
                      5. Tune the radio to a WEAK station on the high end of the band – 1400 or higher, not a strong station poorly tuned
                      6. Turn the volume down as low as possible, but still audible
                      7. Adjust the trimmer for maximum volume
                      8. Try it again on another weak station high on the band
                      Last edited by RadioRoy; 07-11-2017, 07:28 PM.

Comment

I really like the looks of the trunk mounted antenna and thought about changing to it but figured it would make using a car cover too hard.

My '62 GT has a factory push button AM-FM radio with front and rear speakers. The antenna is mounted in the left front cowl/fender at the rearmost corner. My guess is it was originally a manual antenna, but somebody before me replaced that with a power antenna. It was broken when I got the car but I dismantled, repaired and re-timed it (so it would stop at the proper place both up and down) then rewired it so it actually has a fuse and proper connections instead of twisted wire and tape; (some people's kids). It works great!

Too bad there are no decent radio stations to listen to here. I usually use an FM modulator to play mp3's through the stock radio, and don't need the antenna. It's cool, every mp3 sounds like 1962 this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmie View Post
                          In looking at pictures of 62 GT Hawks I do not see any antennas located on the rear fenders next to the trunk lid. Did any have antennas located there?

Thank you,
                          Jimmie
                          Also see thread http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=antenna

When you buy the GT Hawk trunk-mounted antenna from Studebaker International, you get the mounting template with it.

Bill L.

Here's my '62 GT mounting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1833.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1715531
                          Bill L.
                          1962 GT Hawk

Comment

My 62 GT Hawk has no antenna mounted, and no visible signs of where one would have been mounted. The car is fairly original and has the original AM radio. I wonder how it's getting reception?

Comment

the Radio had to be installed After sale at some point.
                              There ARE under Car mounted hidden Antennas and glue on the Windshield or rear glass clear tape type with a Foil like "wire' for reception.

Just follow the Black Shielded Cable from the Right side of the Radio to your Antenna, they do not work without one, maybe some kind of home made Gismo in the Plug Receptacle.

The Standard Location is the Left Front Fender, inboard, rear corner, where it overlaps the Cowl and into the Door Post.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X