Rally of the Giants 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rally of the Giants 2017

For some that might be unfamiliar with Rally of the Giants (RoG), it is the UK's premier summer event for only American cars.

Since 2012, it has been held at Blenheim Palace, the birthplace of Sir Winston Churchill (http://www.blenheimpalace.com/?gclid...FUO3GwodxkkG3Q), which also happens to be a world 'heritage' site. Before 2012, the event was held at Knebworth House, but moved in 2012 due to the London Olympics.

Each year, the Studebaker Owners Club UK, takes up a patch of real estate to display whatever cars might attend on the given Sunday. This year, 14 Studebakers were on show ranging from 1928 - 1963/64.

At the end of the day, my car had been selected for a 'Premium Choice' Award, which was a great surprise for me and my wife, who was intent on removing the small orange post-it note left on the windshield.... just as well I suggested she let it remain. It was the first time, my 56J had been selected for an award, which was a great thrill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RoG_3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1755293 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030044.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	1755294 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030045.jpg
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	1755295 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030046.jpg
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	1755296 Click image for larger version

Name:	Packard Patrician.jpg
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	1755297 Click image for larger version

Name:	RoG_6.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1755298 Click image for larger version

Name:	RoG_7.jpg
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1755299 Click image for larger version

Name:	RoG_Award_2017.jpg
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	1755300
    Richard
    sigpic

Very cool! Congratulations Richard!
    It is nice to see a good representation of the marque at this event. Your 56J looks like a real honey.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Richard,
      Lotta nice cars there, but I'd have picked yours too

Congrats !

Joe H.

Comment

Looks like a nice show. Only one question. WHAT, NO LARKS?

Rog
        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
        Smithtown,NY
        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Wonderful honor and a beautiful show. I was about to go to the photos on the 56J site.

Congratulations, Richard. I realize the long road to this award.
          Gil Zimmerman
          Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
          1956 Golden Hawk
          1958 Packard Hawk
          1958 President
          1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Thanks for the review; excellent presentation...and so close to the porta-potties, too (oh, wait; they're called "loos" over there, aren't they?)

Congrats on the Golden Hawk's award; well-deserved!

'Loved the 1955 Packard Patrician, too. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

A guy, Neville, who doesn't live too far away from me in Wiltshire has a Lark, but apologized as he couldn't make the show this year.

Many thanks for the encouragement... and yes, the Club somehow got parked up next to the Loos, which weren't too bad at the start of the day... but, by the end of the day - no sir!
              Richard
              sigpic

Comment

Congrats! Nice show with some nice-looking cars.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

OK, non-Studebaker, but might be of interest to some...

This was driven to the UK form Germany, Lincoln Zephyr A Ghia that was in pristine condition and also picked up an award Five Ford Retractables from across the UK showed up - there's a push on to see if they can muster 6 + next year the enthusiasm in the UK for American cars is great with many very knowledgeable people with great cars and it always add to the sense of the occasion, so long as it doesn't pour with rain, which is what happened 2 years ago
                  Richard
                  sigpic

Comment

I went to Rally of the Giants back in probably '05 when stationed over there...think I brought my '34 Ford Tudor which made a tiny pic in the coverage of Custom Car magazine.

Whereabouts in Swindon are you? I was also on exchange with the RAF stationed at Lyneham just down the road and have a good mate who still lives in Swindon and drives a red '39 Ford...
                    -------------------
                    Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

Richard-
                      Can you explain the origin of the North American-style white/black number plates on some cars (Packard, Ford Retractable, Pontiac)?
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Great assortment of American automobiles (and that Euro-American hybrid Ghia). Your photos cover a fine spectrum, from the Art Deco Lincoln to the splashy '58 Ford Skyliner retractable. Wonder if all five retractables are capable of successfully cycling the top mechanisms up and down on any given day? I ask that question as former owner of a '58 Mk3 Continental convertible with a somewhat related mechanism for the concealed soft top. Recall what model year the Ghia might be? I'm recalling a '57 Dual Ghia convertible owned by friends in the seventies... this one is a little different.
                        Last edited by riversidevw; 07-12-2017, 12:33 PM.
                        Gil Zimmerman
                        Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                        1956 Golden Hawk
                        1958 Packard Hawk
                        1958 President
                        1963 Avanti R2

Comment

To answer your question Skip Lackie about the number plates...

Some folks wish to USA style number plates on their cars, which is similar to authentic USA plates. The issue here (plenty of FB chatter on the topic) about whether the 'Plod... Bill... Fuzz... Coppers' (Police) will pull them over and 'nick' them (fine them).

A French-based company seems to be pulling most of the trade, if comments posted on FB are to believed, as many Brits wish to authenticate and emulate what they've seen in photos, movies and when they've been on vacation. For my car, the number plates are authentic for the period in the UK at the time of the late-1950's and early-1960's.

Hey Flat Ernie, I'm outside of Swindon, at what is now known as Royal Wootton Bassett, which of course is on the way to what was RAF Lyneham - it is no longer an air base.
                          Richard
                          sigpic

Comment

I forgot to mention Flat Ernie, the Swindon Rod n Custom meet up at the Sun Inn pub on the first Thursday of each month, though I never am able to get home in time to get along. There is a FB page set up for Swindon Rod n Custom, if you fancy going down 'memory lane'
                            Richard
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by packard352 View Post
                              To answer your question Skip Lackie about the number plates...

Some folks wish to USA style number plates on their cars, which is similar to authentic USA plates. The issue here (plenty of FB chatter on the topic) about whether the 'Plod... Bill... Fuzz... Coppers' (Police) will pull them over and 'nick' them (fine them).

A French-based company seems to be pulling most of the trade, if comments posted on FB are to believed, as many Brits wish to authenticate and emulate what they've seen in photos, movies and when they've been on vacation. For my car, the number plates are authentic for the period in the UK at the time of the late-1950's and early-1960's.
                              It's been a number of years since I've been in the UK, and didn't remember ever seeing anything other than correct UK plates. What lettering, other than the registration number, are on the repro US plates?
                              Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                              X