Empty Weight of a 1953 Commander Hardtop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Empty Weight of a 1953 Commander Hardtop

I know this has probably been it on before, but does anyone know what the empty weight is for a stock 1953 Commander Hardtop? It has A/T, P/S & Radio.
    Last edited by 53 Commander; 07-09-2017, 05:51 PM.
    Steve

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

53 Commander Hardtop, A/T, P/S
    55 Commander Conestoga
    60 Lark Regal Convertible, A/T
    59 Lark 4 Door Parts Car
    62 Champ 7E7, A/T
    49 2R15 Stakebed

3120 pounds - of course, any options (automatic, radio, etc.) add to that.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I don't go much by shipping weights published by Stude. My 53K weighs in on the scales at 3,445 lbs. with 5 gallons of gas in the tank. I couldn't get it down to 3,120 lbs. with a SBC and trying to get it a light as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
        I don't go much by shipping weights published by Stude. My 53K weighs in on the scales at 3,445 lbs. with 5 gallons of gas in the tank. I couldn't get it down to 3,120 lbs. with a SBC and trying to get it a light as possible.
        Don't forget that you have to add the extra weight of automatic transmission, power steering, radio, five gallons of gasoline, etc. (perhaps even A/C) to that 3120.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          3120 pounds - of course, any options (automatic, radio, etc.) add to that.
          The factory shipping weights published in the '51 - '54 Studebaker shop manual are dry shipping weights, assuming no options. A standard 3 speed manual transmission. No automatic transmission, no overdrive, no power steering, no power brakes. While the manual does provide additional weight figures for these options, they are also dry shipping weights. They do not include the weight of the gas in the tank, the coolant in the cooling system, the oil in the crankcase, the oil in a standard transmission and in an overdrive if so equipped, automatic transmission fluid in the automatic transmission and torque converter if so equipped, power steering fluid in the power steering system if so equipped and finally differential lubricant. I'm not sure exactly how much the weight of all the specific fluids in any particular application might be but it's not insignificant!

Mark
          sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

I have to weigh in the 55 at the Pure Stock Drags. 3400 sounds reasonable with automatic, dual exhaust, spare tire, etc.
            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
              I have to weigh in the 55 at the Pure Stock Drags. 3400 sounds reasonable with automatic, dual exhaust, spare tire, etc.
              And that is with all of that extra die cast (pot metal) chrome on a 1955 <G>.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
              X